Getting started in the industry

Ryansaws

Hey there, first time poster on this forum. I’m a 21 year old based in Edinburgh, Scotland and looking into becoming a tree surgeon.

I have experience with a saw and can run one with decent confidence but don’t have any tickets. My main question is what is the best way to go about getting qualified. I’ve looked into getting nptc and it does seem pricey. would a company usually put a new “apprentice” through there training or do they mostly look for people with previous training/ nptc certified?

I would much prefer trying to get on job experience rather than doing the college route however I would consider it if it’s more likely to allow me to break in to the industry. 

any help here would be appreciated, cheers!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ryansaws said:

Hey there, first time poster on this forum. I’m a 21 year old based in Edinburgh, Scotland and looking into becoming a tree surgeon.

I have experience with a saw and can run one with decent confidence but don’t have any tickets. My main question is what is the best way to go about getting qualified. I’ve looked into getting nptc and it does seem pricey. would a company usually put a new “apprentice” through there training or do they mostly look for people with previous training/ nptc certified?

I would much prefer trying to get on job experience rather than doing the college route however I would consider it if it’s more likely to allow me to break in to the industry. 

any help here would be appreciated, cheers!

Bearing in mind I am a seriously old git ...I worked for several years without any tickets coz I always had a saw and experience kept me alive . I did get tickets some years later and I think its the only way these days . I don't think you can take a dump without a ticket now .  

• Like 1

A company will probably put you through tickets but it's an investment for the firm, so it's a long term thing. They won't want to do that and then have you decide tree surgery isn't for you and leave after a few months.

It's a good idea to get some experience days even as a labourer, if you can ring around local firms. After that you'll get on much better if you can put yourself through CS30/31 so you can use a saw on the ground. You'll be that much more useful, more likely to get hired. Also you'll have your own saw trousers, boots and helmet so can sub days as a groundie even if you don't find a permanent job.

Do seems to be loads of adverts around though.

• Like 1