Oregon bar with Stihl chain

Mrblue5000

Got my Jonsered 630 saw going after being in the shed for a few years. It seems to be running hot, the chain that is. So I had a look today and discovered that there's a Stihl chain on it, I always thought that it was an Oregon chain on it. So I'm trying to figure out if the chain that's on it fits the bar. Looking up google and I can't find the exact number of the bar. I'm guessing that Oregon no longer make 13 inch D009 bars.  

I think the numbers on the bar mean the following

058/ 1.5 is the gauge, 1.5mm width

3/8 is the pitch 

52 is the number of drive links.

516962 HM I'm not sure about.

138SLHD009 I'm guessing is 13 inches long, and the rest is bar type.

All I can see so far on the Stihl chain are G1 and 3/8, so I presume the pitch is correct. The chain feels tight. Any suggestions?

IMG_0936[1].JPG

1 minute ago, Mrblue5000 said:

Got my Jonsered 630 saw going after being in the shed for a few years. It seems to be running hot, the chain that is. So I had a look today and discovered that there's a Stihl chain on it, I always thought that it was an Oregon chain on it. So I'm trying to figure out if the chain that's on it fits the bar. Looking up google and I can't find the exact number of the bar. I'm guessing that Oregon no longer make 13 inch D009 bars.  

3/8 is the pitch 

All I can see so far on the Stihl chain are G1 and 3/8, so I presume the pitch is correct. The chain feels tight. Any suggestions?

IMG_0936[1].JPG

The Stihl chain could very well be .063 ( 1.6 ) gauge , which would make it tight .  I have had Stihl chains that are .058 and run them on a Husqvarna but generally Stihl chains ( made to run on Stihl saws ) are the wider gauge .

• Like 3

Does it get hot with just the chain going round, so before cutting anything?  Or only hot after cutting ?

How's the oil supply to the chain (after its time of sitting)?

Blunt chain and heat generated will cook the bar oil into a sticky mess.

If the chain fits in the groove in the bar and theres a little side ways play then thats all you need. 

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

The Stihl chain could very well be .063 ( 1.6 ) gauge , which would make it tight .  I have had Stihl chains that are .058 and run them on a Husqvarna but generally Stihl chains ( made to run on Stihl saws ) are the wider gauge .

Stihl list many sizes have a 24" 3/8 058 on my 372. There not shy on making to fit others!

2 hours ago, Mrblue5000 said:

3/8 is the pitch 

IMG_0936[1].JPG

Hi if is 063 chain or if been running too tight on bar ie no slack? it's probably worn/damaged either or both parts so i'd just replace with new bar and chain. plus will probably need new rim sprocket? need to check as if been struggling pulling chain will be pretty worn! esp at 20 year old! and if using new chain need new sprocket unless mint?

WWW.CHAINSAWBARS.CO.UK

[HUSKY4] VT2M-8Q37-A Sugihara Pro Lam 15"[38cm] 3/8 .058 56 drive links

WWW.CHAINSAWBARS.CO.UK

73EXL Oregon Next Generation Full Chisel 3/8 .058

Around £50 odd your all up and running.

Stick some pics up with side cover and chain off so can see sprocket etc and type as could be rim or one piece?

You also need to remove it to grease bearing inside maybe put new one in if been very dry run?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AngrySquirrel said:

Lift the chain out off groove the links below will have chain type digits

Yes did that and it is a 5 which =1.5mm so it matches the bar groove.

https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/downloads/STIHL-Saw-Chain-Selection-Identification.pdf Mid section of this pdf might help someone else. 

bmp hot after cutting, oil is going out about 3/4 tank per tank of fuel and bar oil hole is clear.  Will have another go in the morning and let you know what happens. 

• Like 2