New saw 45-50cc - which one?

Jd44027

Thanks everyone for your input,
I can pick up 241 with 16" bar for £560, @doobin suggested swapping out to picco bar & chain for extra cut speed so will contact dm chainsaws to see what they can do.
Alternatively ms261 15"  at £585...not much in it...

Pay the extra.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

That interesting, did have a brief look at the makita EA5600 
ea5600f45dn_1.jpg WWW.RADMORETUCKER.CO.UK  
Obvs this is a bit higher again in terms of power/cc - anyone been using this & have some feedback @shavey I guess you've had a lot of experience with the makita/dolmar range - would there be any particular models youd recommend based on what I was looking for?

I have the Makita branded version. No complaints from me at all. Removed the cat from the muffler and added noticeable improvements. Mine came with an 18” bar and 2 Oregon chains for £250 through amazon.de
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone had experience with husky 545ii as a firewood saw?

50cc, lightweight while slightly less power than 261 - but can pick up for 500 so a fair bit less.

My only hesitation with this is that I cant easily fix if autotune packs up/doesn't like being used semi infrequently....not sure if this makes sense

• Like 1

As above, the makita is 1.3kg heavier than the 241, granted it has more power etc but your only playing at home. You can match the power of the makita if thats what sways you with a 261 and only add .4 kg to the weight of what a 241 is, that puts the 261 at .9 kg lighter than the makita. Both antivibe figures come in a lump less on the stihl too than the makita which can help towards those achey fingers at the end of a logging session too. I’m not a pro but do favour stihl over other brands, just my opinion, thats not to say that the makita etc arent great saws. Money wise and suitability for your needs i think the sthil fits your bill.

I’ve only ever had Stihl. Granted they are always old. ? This replaced my 034. It feels light as a feather to me. I’ve not noticed any vibration either? Use it day in day out at home too. Maybe if I tried a fancy new Stihl I could not go back to the Makita but to me it’s like playing with a toy, a toy with a nice wee bit of power.
  • Like 2

I went into the dealer for a 241 years ago and came out with a 261, I think he was right that unless you are specifically looking for a light small saw (eg hedging) then the 261 is worth the extra few pounds. Ringing up stems you will certainly appreciate the extra power, although true enough they are both going to be a whole heap better than a 170.

If budget and autotune are worries then lean towards the Makita.

• Like 1