New saw 45-50cc - which one?

Jd44027

On 06/09/2020 at 10:33, doobin said:

I've had bad experiences with two MS241s. It would be an ideal size for you, however I'd suggest you look also at the Echo CS501SX. Around the same money, tiny bit heaver and noticeably more power. I run both, the 241 is definately more ergonomic but as you will be just crosscutting rather than felling I'd say you will be fine. I'm learning to appreciate the Echo's 'raw' nature and the extra power, as I just don't trust the 241 any more.

Big plus for Echo is a two year commercial warranty, whereas Stihl try to wiggle out of a worn crankshaft after eleven months and 74 hours use on the saw....

Both saws will run picco chain, so I would recommend that you get the dealer to supply them as such. It's a thinner kerf so makes better use of the avaialble power, as well as being much more forgiving when sharpening. Nice and simple. 16" bar is ideal. If you have trouble getting this then call DM saws- they have supplied both for me in picco from new, and I think they'll do mail order.

As a follow up to this- I'm really starting to like the Echo. Despite the extra vibes, the awkward chain changing, despite the way the MS241 is more ergonomic in every way, for some reason after four months of having both on the shelf the Echo is the one I reach for every time. It just rips with a picco chain. Raw power- does the job and makes me smile.

Sold the MS241 for £350 yesterday and don't thnk I'll miss it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

I think the 435/440 is the closest, but not a "pro" saw as such. The 550 is so compact and nimble i don't think there's really a need for a 40cc Husky pro saw.

Agree,there is no need for anything less than 550 in the pro range

Also worth posting feedback on the 261 for anyone interested,

Mostly cut ash and oak so far, about 10-12 medium sized trailer loads.

It's plenty powerful enough for this level of use and with the stock 15" bar gives an excellent balance and cutting speed, has cut everything from 3-4" up to a 22" ish thick ash tree trunk, even with bar buried and leaning on the saw it still pulls well.

Well balanced also, guess would be pretty similar to the 241 in this respect + features like the captive bar nuts and simplified starting make it even better to use....would definitely recommend 👍

31 minutes ago, Silverhooker said:

I’ve had a 440 and it’s a good saw but agree not a pro saw, however the mk2 550 is ! It’s a nimble all rounder, no need for a 40 cc if you’ve a 550.

How do you like the 440? I was tempted but now with the 550 i have no need for one.

2 hours ago, doobin said:

Sold the MS241 for £350 yesterday and don't thnk I'll miss it.

I've used one and really like the 241s. I'm not a Stihl fan by any means but i like the 241. My mate has a well-used one and it's a lovely little machine. Shame you didn't like it. I very nearly bought one, but once i had my 550 i felt no need for a smaller backhandle.

Also, all my saws are Husky, so i can interchange bars. That puts me off buying Stihls now.

1 hour ago, Moose McAlpine said:

How do you like the 440? I was tempted but now with the 550 i have no need for one.

I've used one and really like the 241s. I'm not a Stihl fan by any means but i like the 241. My mate has a well-used one and it's a lovely little machine. Shame you didn't like it. I very nearly bought one, but once i had my 550 i felt no need for a smaller backhandle.

Also, all my saws are Husky, so i can interchange bars. That puts me off buying Stihls now.

Yeah the 440 was good but the 550 is different class.

• Like 1

don't think there's really a need for a 40cc Husky pro saw.

But with Stihl having the the rear ms201 , and echo with  has the CS-2511WES   huskys kind of the odd one out not a mini pro saw as well

No new 242xp   543xp.....