New saw 45-50cc - which one?

Jd44027

Hello all,

New chainsaw time, I'm looking to upgrade my ms170.

I'm mainly cutting firewood, anything from 6" up to 16-18" in mostly ash oak or pine.

Ideally would like to get a pro level saw for the better build quality, however not sure if I can justify the additional spend. The main saws I'm looking at are,

- ms241 - will this be powerful enough for what I'm doing 

- ms261 - can't really justify the cost unless this will be a massive improvement in quality and usability over cheaper equivalents

- ms271 - decent power and price but cheaper build quality

- 545ii - within budget however have heard that repairs on the AT system can be pretty expensive - would rather stick with something I can fix myself or repair at lower cost

I'm not massively brand fussy although would prefer stihl as have used them in the past, my local dealer sells/repairs stihl, husqvarna and makita so should have good backup

Thanks for your help ?

• Like 1

I've had bad experiences with two MS241s. It would be an ideal size for you, however I'd suggest you look also at the Echo CS501SX. Around the same money, tiny bit heaver and noticeably more power. I run both, the 241 is definately more ergonomic but as you will be just crosscutting rather than felling I'd say you will be fine. I'm learning to appreciate the Echo's 'raw' nature and the extra power, as I just don't trust the 241 any more.

Big plus for Echo is a two year commercial warranty, whereas Stihl try to wiggle out of a worn crankshaft after eleven months and 74 hours use on the saw....

Both saws will run picco chain, so I would recommend that you get the dealer to supply them as such. It's a thinner kerf so makes better use of the avaialble power, as well as being much more forgiving when sharpening. Nice and simple. 16" bar is ideal. If you have trouble getting this then call DM saws- they have supplied both for me in picco from new, and I think they'll do mail order.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Might be worth asking wot saws have electronic carbs??

They might not be best suited for hobby use and sitting about for long periods.

I don't think it makes much difference. I might leave an MS462 or an FS460 for three months but it always starts quick and runs well.

If it bothers OP though, the echo is all mechanical.?

OP, are you in the South? You can come and play with both saws here and ring up as much of my firewood as you like....

Edited by doobin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Thanks all, appreciate the help.

@doobin out of interest how old/new were the MS241s you had issues with, do you know if these bugs will have been ironed out?

What is parts availability like on the Echo? Looks like a nice saw, hadn't thought of checking out echo tbh. Are they up there with stihl/husky quality generally (I know both makes have made some dud saws but in general seems they last a long time, my main consideration is getting a saw that will go the distance).

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately probs wont work out currently - appreciated anyway!

@drinksloe thanks, will check it out.

Is the ms271 worth considering or best left alone? Is a 50cc but doesn't seem to be overly popular?

• Like 1

Saws were 2017 and 2019. Both had worn crankshafts after low hours of use. I sold the first at a big loss but DM saws badgered Stihl to sort the second as it was very low hours (74 as proved by their data download from the computer) They still tried to deny a claim however.

MS271 is a domestic saw. Best avoided. Heavy for the power and lots of plastic parts.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2