Black poplars - beyond help?

albion-20

Question

Hi,

We have quite a few Black Poplars, which I'd like to keep for as long as possible. One has fallen over leaving just the main trunk. Co uld it re-sprout or should I remove it?

I am concerned about the condition of several others, including this one. How long are they likely to survive like this? 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Edited by albion-20
uploaded photos

9 answers to this question

I was really hoping to avoid that! I have around 16 of them, mostly along the stream that divides our two fields. They provide a lot of privacy and already house a barn owl and bats. 

Will the one that has lost all its main branches survive or should I replant another?

If I must pollard them, how long would they take to recover? when is the best time to do this? 

37 minutes ago, albion-20 said:

I was really hoping to avoid that! I have around 16 of them, mostly along the stream that divides our two fields. They provide a lot of privacy and already house a barn owl and bats. 

Will the one that has lost all its main branches survive or should I replant another?

If I must pollard them, how long would they take to recover? when is the best time to do this? 

If you know you have ecology issues, bats/birds etc I would get a survey done. These trees respond very well to being hit hard, (look at the regrowth you have), I would hit them hard again, you will have less issues with birds in the Winter period, you don’t have to do all at once, prioritise the largest with the biggest weight before they shed limbs themselves. When the work has been done on each tree and cleared up, plant another on either side, they are very quick growing and cheap. Try and locate some native Black Poplar stock instead of the hybrids, they won’t grow as tall and give you less problems long term.

• Like 8

If you don’t reprune/pollard an already pollarded tree especially poplar that is prone to rot,the regrow in most cases will then fall apart when it gets to an age ... damage has been done.
So either let them fall apart naturally or hit hard leaving wildlife habitat maybe even some coronet cuts to encourage more wildlife and fauna.
I would hazard a guess they are riddled with hornet moth too.

• Like 2

Hello!

They are starting to split where they where pollarded so in my opinion for the others the best thing to do is to cable them and do a little wheight reduction and thinning in summer to keep the regrow on low level.

I Think a 4-8 tons dinamic or semistatic cable would be right.

For the broken one the best thing to do is to pollard it on a regular cycle of 1 to 3 years cutting the new branch at the same poin evry time without damaging the beach collar.

A Lapsed pollard should never be cut back.

Cutting them back will destroy the hormonal system of the tree and the big wound left will rot the main trunk.

Another problem of cutting it back is that the root will no longer recieve nutriend and they will dieback.

• Confused 1