Have we had a 'First go at Milling' thread recently?

TuscanPhil

The info I have is:

You can make a large Husky mount D009 bar fit with a little work. File the adjuster holes upwards so they open into the bar channel and you're good to go. It only takes about ten minutes to do both holes so you can flip it. You are basically making a D096 mount by doing that.

From what I've read on Homelite forums, I need to modify a D009 mount, that's same as on a Husky 576XP from my reading, so I'm looking for bars/chains to fit that saw when using 'product selector' guides on various websites (such as Rob D's).  I don't think the Stihl mount can be modified to fit (or at least I've not read anyone doing it.).

That’s why you should chat to Rob.
He’ll know more than any product selector.
84cc could easily cut with a 48” bar with hyperskip.
And cutting over 3’ wide gives the slabs a considerable premium.
First decent log you cut will pay for the bar and chains [emoji106]

Thanks @Rough Hewn, I very much know that you know your stuff - but I only have those trees available to me that are being felled in my woodland.  I have some large Poplar (been on the ground for a few years now....) and the odd bit of larger Oak - oh and a stem of Sitka Spruce, but nothing substantial that I would mill and look to sell.  There's a local chap who advertises boards on Facebook Marketplace eg https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3820466818010214 and he probably has all the right kit etc. so I'll be competing with him on price.  I'm just trying to get some useful wood from my felled trees (only 4 acres and it's all TPO'd, most also SSSI !) so that I can have a 'play' at making some bits and pieces.  The only thing I've probably ever contemplate is smaller items, not whole slabs, or if I end up with enough bits and pieces, garden benches etc. but in kit form (too heavy to move otherwise).

• Like 1

Thanks @Rough Hewn, I very much know that you know your stuff - but I only have those trees available to me that are being felled in my woodland.  I have some large Poplar (been on the ground for a few years now....) and the odd bit of larger Oak - oh and a stem of Sitka Spruce, but nothing substantial that I would mill and look to sell.  There's a local chap who advertises boards on Facebook Marketplace eg https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3820466818010214 and he probably has all the right kit etc. so I'll be competing with him on price.  I'm just trying to get some useful wood from my felled trees (only 4 acres and it's all TPO'd, most also SSSI !) so that I can have a 'play' at making some bits and pieces.  The only thing I've probably ever contemplate is smaller items, not whole slabs, or if I end up with enough bits and pieces, garden benches etc. but in kit form (too heavy to move otherwise).

Large English oak slabs are expensive.[emoji6]
Doesn’t matter who’s local,
Get in touch, find out what size he can cut and go 12”+ bigger.
Then yiu can both pass each other work [emoji6][emoji106]
A 48” bar will give a 42” cut max.
One 8’+ x 40” oak cut in 3” slabs...
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Well you have many options,

and there is no right or wrong just different.

Those are nice looking logs bud.

The poplar might have done interesting colour.

Get them stacked under cover as soon as you’ve milled them or they will rot very quickly if exposed.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

2 hours ago, TuscanPhil said:

The info I have is:

You can make a large Husky mount D009 bar fit with a little work. File the adjuster holes upwards so they open into the bar channel and you're good to go. It only takes about ten minutes to do both holes so you can flip it. You are basically making a D096 mount by doing that.

Haha I didn't know that - I'm not at all up on the rare mounts but if you want diagrams they are here and you can always fettle stuff to suit yourself.

https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Oregon-Bar-Mounts-Catalogue.pdf

• Like 2

Milling is such a large topic - and there is no best. Tried to explain it to someone the other day like. Say there are waves by the beach and you want to go surfing.

1. One person is body boarding at a wedgey spot in the corner
  2. Another person is on a paddle board way out back
  3. Another on a long board closer in
  4. Short boarders are dotted around closer to the breaking part of the waves

So they are all surfing waves right - [analogy milling wood]. Who is surfing the best? Who has got it right? Which is best? What should I do?

Prob the best answer is - try them all - see which works best for you - stick with that.

So in this thread you may start of milling a few trees. But then it becomes fun. The trees are milled and you sell the boards... hmmmm now you fancy a bigger set up and there's a farmer who has had a big oak tree in his field for 3 years will he let me have it? And on it goes....

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rob D said:

Haha I didn't know that - I'm not at all up on the rare mounts but if you want diagrams they are here and you can always fettle stuff to suit yourself.

https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Oregon-Bar-Mounts-Catalogue.pdf

Thanks @Rob D, much appreciated.  Are the diagrams to scale by any chance, so can I print them out, cut them out and line them up?  The previous patterns I was working to, I got from here: http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/BMP/14 - that's the one for my Homelite.

I totally get where you are coming from about surfers - I'm still playing on the shallows, falling off every now and then!!  Ha ha! I've not even contemplated entering any competitions yet (selling the boards) and funny you should mention it but there is a local farmer who has offered me some trees!!  Actually my 'second' outing with my mill was on one of his ginormous conifers that he'd felled and I just about got in to cut one board (my cheap mill broke - buy cheap buy twice...) before he lit his bonfire and it's now a charred log that I still might have another 'chop' at.

I've since repaired the mill (I'm an engineer at heart) and have been using it on the Turkey Oak that I've milled 4 or 5 boards off so far.  It's very much a hobby, I don't have large amounts of time to spend on it and I do a bit every now and then when I get an opportunity.  My next 'project' is a Douglas Fir that I'm intending to make some beams out of with the plan to refurb a water well that we have in our garden.  Felled since Feb 2016 aprox.  Roughly 17.5m long, 60cm max dia down to 25cm min dia.  No picture of the main trunk but it is virtually dead straight!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Well you have many options,

and there is no right or wrong just different.

Those are nice looking logs bud.

The poplar might have done interesting colour.

Get them stacked under cover as soon as you’ve milled them or they will rot very quickly if exposed.

emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Cheers Rough, the Pop is why I need a longer bar - I'll probably have to trim the sides towards the base anyway.  Not sure what I'll use the Pop for but going on your previous advice, I'll probably mill to 2.5" or 3".  I have a covered woodshed where my firewood seasons so I think I'm going to have to clear some space at the end, so I don't have to keep moving the boards as I empty and fill with logs for seasoning.  I have a few in there already, 2 of the American Oak boards are still on the remainder of the trunk and I just throw a groundsheet weighted with bricks over them if it's going to rain.

• Like 1