Have we had a 'First go at Milling' thread recently?

TuscanPhil

And also a first cut of my Sitka Spruce (been felled for about 5 years also!!).  Whilst it is a wider board, it was a lot slower to mill than the oak, but, I hadn't tickled the chain after the oak and I might have dulled it a bit on the small bits of metal and 'dirty' bark etc.  Hopefully a bit more time tomorrow to mill some boards of the Sitka - gonna have to fit my new 36" bar and skip chain for its first use...  watch this space...

IMG_20220326_154451.jpg

IMG_20220326_154502.jpg

IMG_20220326_154516.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Having promised (maybe) an update on 27th March, it turned out to be Mothering Sunday so I was otherwise occupied.  I can't believe it is now pretty much 3 weeks on, but here I am with an update.  The first 'stick' of Sitka Spruce is now milled to about 2" slabs.  Not sure what they'll end up being used for, probably garden tables or benches sort of thing maybe...   One of my neighbours popped round to have a look (I invited him) and he came with his early teens daughter who asked - would I be able to do that... so maybe there is a young miller in the neighbourhood...

Any way, pictures paint a thousand words, so here they are:

IMG_20220416_164047.jpg

IMG_20220416_164102.jpg

IMG_20220416_164128.jpg

IMG_20220416_164135.jpg

IMG_20220416_164201.jpg

IMG_20220416_172453.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TuscanPhil said:

Having promised (maybe) an update on 27th March, it turned out to be Mothering Sunday so I was otherwise occupied.  I can't believe it is now pretty much 3 weeks on, but here I am with an update.  The first 'stick' of Sitka Spruce is now milled to about 2" slabs.  Not sure what they'll end up being used for, probably garden tables or benches sort of thing maybe...   One of my neighbours popped round to have a look (I invited him) and he came with his early teens daughter who asked - would I be able to do that... so maybe there is a young miller in the neighbourhood...

Any way, pictures paint a thousand words, so here they are:

IMG_20220416_164047.jpg

IMG_20220416_164102.jpg

IMG_20220416_164128.jpg

IMG_20220416_164135.jpg

IMG_20220416_164201.jpg

IMG_20220416_172453.jpg

How do you plan on protecting the Spruce from the elements? Its not exactly known for its durability

38 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

How do you plan on protecting the Spruce from the elements? Its not exactly known for its durability

Good question - deserves a good answer - but - I haven't got one!!  It's not something I'd really considered, so I have not idea what it 'could' be used for or how to make it long lasting, but it seemed to be a waste to ring it up and split it for firewood, which is all else I'd have done with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanPhil said:

Good question - deserves a good answer - but - I haven't got one!!  It's not something I'd really considered, so I have not idea what it 'could' be used for or how to make it long lasting, but it seemed to be a waste to ring it up and split it for firewood, which is all else I'd have done with it.

There still time to make them into 2x4’s. 😁

Yacht Varnish might be the answer? 

Ive used it as cladding on my workshop. Well, Larch and Spruce, mostly Larch, will be interesting to see how they both fair. I think the Spruce I’ll be fine in that environment. 

A local Chainsaw Carver made some Spruce animals for the local council. I believe he told them how durable the wood was. In under 3 years they are quite rotten.