240V Bandsaw recommendations

Johnsond

Looks good! One bit of advice is to keep the hardened steel thrust bearings well oiled as they are outrageously expensive for what they are, and easily damaged by the blade if they get struck. I learnt the hard way, but at least they are all interchangeable and I was able to swop the thrust bearing for a side bearing and years later is still going fine.

Andrew

4 hours ago, ucoulddoit said:

Looks good! One bit of advice is to keep the hardened steel thrust bearings well oiled as they are outrageously expensive for what they are, and easily damaged by the blade if they get struck. I learnt the hard way, but at least they are all interchangeable and I was able to swop the thrust bearing for a side bearing and years later is still going fine.

Andrew

Cheers, you got an image of the bearing you are on about ?? 

18 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Cheers, you got an image of the bearing you are on about ?? 

First picture below is the blade guide which came with the machine and 2nd picture is a spare thrust bearing I bought last year at a cost of £54 for a pair. If the hardened steel bearing gets stuck in the sleeve, instead of rotating, the back of the blade quickly cuts a groove in the bearing face and subsequently, it then tends to catch the blade and won't rotate freely which just makes the groove worse........! But the thrust and side bearings are the same size, and the side bearings still work fine if there is a groove in the face. So if the thrust bearings get worn, they can be swopped with the side bearings. I damaged a thrust bearing soon after buying the machine and was pretty disappointed when I discovered the cost of replacements. But because the bearings are interchangeable, I'm still using the original thrust/side bearings after 15 years and bought the spares last year just in case they become difficult to obtain in future years.

Andrew

IMG_1141 compressed.JPG

IMG_1142 compressed.JPG

10 minutes ago, ucoulddoit said:

First picture below is the blade guide which came with the machine and 2nd picture is a spare thrust bearing I bought last year at a cost of £54 for a pair. If the hardened steel bearing gets stuck in the sleeve, instead of rotating, the back of the blade quickly cuts a groove in the bearing face and subsequently, it then tends to catch the blade and won't rotate freely which just makes the groove worse........! But the thrust and side bearings are the same size, and the side bearings still work fine if there is a groove in the face. So if the thrust bearings get worn, they can be swopped with the side bearings. I damaged a thrust bearing soon after buying the machine and was pretty disappointed when I discovered the cost of replacements. But because the bearings are interchangeable, I'm still using the original thrust/side bearings after 15 years and bought the spares last year just in case they become difficult to obtain in future years.

Andrew

IMG_1141 compressed.JPG

IMG_1142 compressed.JPG

Cheers for that I’ll try and maybe get a spare set just to have as back up. The rear one has a few marks on it but cut fine on a 4 inch oak piece. Do you know of a link to a manual anywhere on  line ??. 

10 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Do you know of a link to a manual anywhere on  line ??. 

I've not seen one but NMA Agencies Ltd who supplied my machine and the spare bearings might provide one? I've seen various comments on other forums over the years so that might be worth a search. If you're struggling, let me know and I'll scan the relevant pages.

Andrew