Biggest bar on MS461 and MS261

Mike F

As others have said have a look at doing a cs32 (i dont know the new number) felling trees over 380mm, its not all about getting a bigger bar or saw, its the right sequence of cuts and this can be done with a small saw, its not that long since i said to a fresh out of collage lad, we will go and take that beech down now, i will take hammer and wedges you fuel up and bring a saw, he replied 660 i said no 261, took a 42" beech down with a 16" bar, when tree come down he stood there looking amazed at what i had just done with a small saw, it can be done, 

There are alot of domestic arb lads out there that do cs30/31 and climbing ticket and thats all they think they need ? but do they need more qualifications ? has any one ever stopped to think why PL insurance for domestic arb is so expensive ? i believe there is a insurance claim made every 3 mins of the 9 - 5 working day in the domestic arb sector, A guy who i move timber for had a claim about 12 months ago for around 11k,he fought with his insurance company to get the claim paid for about 4 month and the main issue was, the insurance co said he was not qualified to remove such a large tree as he did not hold the correct certification,

20190117_150544.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know very few domestic Arbs with CS32, just a big saw and a standard felling cut with a rope on the pole. It’s all okay until there is a claim, then suddenly it isn’t.

I think this is the next glaringly obviously thing for HSE to get stuck into when they have finished meddling with the two rope system.

Edited by The avantgardener
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The avantgardener said:

I know very few domestic Arbs with CS32, just a big saw and a standard felling cut with a rope on the pole. It’s all okay until there is a claim, then suddenly it isn’t.

I think this is the next glaringly obviously thing for HSE to get stuck into when they have finished meddling with the two rope system.

Yes out of about 20 arb lads i know only 2 of them have CS32, and what you say big saw standard felling cut ? and as some of us know that dont work all the time, the lad i said had the PL claim took a dead beech down, removed the crown, left a stem about 12-15 ft, rope in top, 661 out the van and proceeded as normal, left a 3" hinge on a 30" diameter dead stem, they rocked it back and forth untill  the hinge snaped when stem went back, stem fell 90 degrees from where it was supposed to be, landed on a rockery launched 2 stones 1 in to garage door and 2 went through the fence and in to the side of a Merc ml270 which was only about a month old at the time,

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, jmac said:

Imo people shouldn't be allowed up a tree till they have mastered everything on the ground, and by that I mean have done windblow and large trees for a good while.

They are different skill sets though. I know guys who are excellent aerial cutters/climbers, but I wouldn’t let them anywhere near a large tree clearfell or storm damaged site. A lot of guys just want to climb, they have no interest in forestry or ground based work so just won’t apply themselves to it.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, doobin said:

What are the cuts they teach you in cs32?

They mainly concentrate on a ‘sweep cut’ after boring out the heartwood from the front (gob), this allows you to fell a tree more than double the guide bar on the saw.

Also a Danish Cut and Dogs Tooth Cut if there is the right training material, boring in from both sides to meet Cleanly.

Also setting up a winch/ offset pulley to roll out or drag back a deliberately hung tree.

• Like 1