Selling in 2.5m lengths

swinny

We cut all timber for firewood at 3 and all sticks for milling as long as possible as long as it’s straight. Couple of years ago we cut about 25 t of Douglas at 3 (with a top diameter of a min. 12” but up to 24”) at 3m and none of the mills were interested at milling timber prices so it went into estates biomass stack. Seemed such a waste of good timber.

• Like 2

You are far better off developing relationships with millers, as when the new regs. come into force  Firewood merchants will not be able to take that from you unless you can prove it came from a sustainable source - I think you will find it very hard to do that.

Those retailers who have researched the regulations thoroughly will know what I mean.

Change is on the wind and its it is soon to hit land.

2 hours ago, timbernut said:

We cut all timber for firewood at 3 and all sticks for milling as long as possible as long as it’s straight. Couple of years ago we cut about 25 t of Douglas at 3 (with a top diameter of a min. 12” but up to 24”) at 3m and none of the mills were interested at milling timber prices so it went into estates biomass stack. Seemed such a waste of good timber.

why 3 mtr ? 3mtr is not a product size 3.1mtr is so thats why no mills would take it and if they had been cut at 3.7mtr even better,

2 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

You are far better off developing relationships with millers, as when the new regs. come into force  Firewood merchants will not be able to take that from you unless you can prove it came from a sustainable source - I think you will find it very hard to do that.

Those retailers who have researched the regulations thoroughly will know what I mean.

Change is on the wind and its it is soon to hit land.

I'm sure I will find somewhere for it in the firewood industry... That also makes it sound like domestic wood should go to waste as should be from sustainable source. 

Do you not think a lot will just start selling 2 cube deliveries? I know I will be doing

Edited by swinny

12 minutes ago, swinny said:

I'm sure I will find somewhere for it in the firewood industry... That also makes it sound like domestic wood should go to waste as should be from sustainable source. 

Do you not think a lot will just start selling 2 cube deliveries? I know I will be doing

Probably, but there is regulation linked to that also. 

For most I can safely say - it will not be worth the hassle of meeting all the criteria, investment, additional admin, ongoing Audits etc. , which is why so many are already diversifying into other areas and selling related equipment while it still has a value. - A shame but this is the reality.

Most Regulation is a bain that we just have to accept and live with or move to other areas to earn an income.

Look at lead shot ban for wildfowling, General licences, Arb. qualifications and Insurance, Loler, Puwer, H&S, etc. etc. etc.

why 3 mtr ? 3mtr is not a product size 3.1mtr is so thats why no mills would take it and if they had been cut at 3.7mtr even better,

Normally would’ve cut milling timber at 3.1 or over but we’d been told by middle man everything was to be for biomass/ firewood until woodland owner visited site and it was pointed out he’d get a better return on milling timber but a fair bit was already cut, a couple loads mix of Douglas, larch, Scots n WRC did get sold, not sure on price tho
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Probably, but there is regulation linked to that also. 

For most I can safely say - it will not be worth the hassle of meeting all the criteria, investment, additional admin, ongoing Audits etc. , which is why so many are already diversifying into other areas and selling related equipment while it still has a value. - A shame but this is the reality.

Most Regulation is a bain that we just have to accept and live with or move to other areas to earn an income.

Look at lead shot ban for wildfowling, General licences, Arb. qualifications and Insurance, Loler, Puwer, H&S, etc. etc. etc.

Come on Arb, be an optimist in some way. Bad year to be pessimistic.

If it all has to go to biomass in the end then so be it. I take it your packing in with logs?