Selling in 2.5m lengths

swinny

3 hours ago, swinny said:

Poor price on sending for biomass as logs... Think it was 15.00 per ton.

Of the soft is worth 45-50 and hard 50-55 it's worth keeping to the side till a load to go out.

My local haulier takes my timber.  I dont have to sell or market it.  Phone him up, collects within days and thats it.  I get £55 ton for ash, £44 spruce.  I dont even have to be on site.  All processor size generally with occational larger ones.  He offers the price, seems fair to me.  The ash goes to a local firewood company, not sure where spruce goes but think goes to chip.

35 minutes ago, swinny said:

Yes I would have thought so.

Ideally need to find someone into their firewood and start to sell it to them? Or get a lorry load and then advertise etc ...

Just thought it would be more brass this way as said, peanuts for biomass and not too interested in mass production of logs either.

I said i would talk to you about this ? but the way you worded your msg you was bassically telling me not to bother ? or have i read it wrong ??

30 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

I said i would talk to you about this ? but the way you worded your msg you was bassically telling me not to bother ? or have i read it wrong ??

No still waiting to talk. Been rammed with work and no signal at home doesn't help but does in other ways lol

Knowledge is power :D will catch up soon. 

Not a way I have done wood before so seeing on everyone's experience's and what people expect etc make sure I'm doing it right.

On 31/08/2020 at 23:24, swinny said:

Knowledge is power :D will catch up soon. 

That's me fecked then Chris. All sticks no matter what they are will have a job somewhere, it's just a matter of finding a home for them. The sawmills around here want everything as long as possible, I have taken timber into sawmills 45` long before now, then you get guys that only use it for fenceposts/fencing and they will take anything 3mts +. Looking at the stack you have I would say you need to trim it out a bit better and stack the curly bits to one end so the driver can throw them on the top last, nothing worse or more time-consuming than trying to load badly cut/misshaped timber.

Log wood is straight forward, anything more or less than the right length and diameter including chogs go to the guys still swinging axes.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

That's me fecked then Chris. All sticks no matter what they are will have a job somewhere, it's just a matter of finding a home for them. The sawmills around here want everything as long as possible, I have taken timber into sawmills 45` long before now, then you get guys that only use it for fenceposts/fencing and they will take anything 3mts +. Looking at the stack you have I would say you need to trim it out a bit better and stack the curly bits to one end so the driver can throw them on the top last, nothing worse or more time-consuming than trying to load badly cut/misshaped timber.

Log wood is straight forward, anything more or less than the right length and diameter including chogs go to the guys still swinging axes.

Bob

Now thats the constructive post I was after!

When you say trim it out a bit better, you mean more cutting branch unions flush to the stem more etc?

Yes the squiggleys will be thrown to one side then loaded last. 

Its the first trial at this and was lead to believe that 2.5m was the right length for the firewood boys etc. Was pretty happy with the mini digger picking up all the big pieces and stacking etc! 

I will endevour to keep bringing it back in 8' lengths to get a decent amount to move on. Will need to do the maths to make sure its worth while though 

8 minutes ago, swinny said:

Now thats the constructive post I was after!

When you say trim it out a bit better, you mean more cutting branch unions flush to the stem more etc?

Yes the squiggleys will be thrown to one side then loaded last. 

Its the first trial at this and was lead to believe that 2.5m was the right length for the firewood boys etc. Was pretty happy with the mini digger picking up all the big pieces and stacking etc! 

I will endevour to keep bringing it back in 8' lengths to get a decent amount to move on. Will need to do the maths to make sure its worth while though 

Swinny if you were close to me a would be taking a large amount of that size larch for sure. 2.5 m is perfect for sleepers and 4x4 posts as well as cladding.

6 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Swinny if you were close to me a would be taking a large amount of that size larch for sure. 2.5 m is perfect for sleepers and 4x4 posts as well as cladding.

Hi there, A lad did express interest in it for cladding at 2.5m so will see how that goes. Theres most likely a market for everything big and small its finding who wants it :)