Please don't shoot me, butttt!

andy cobb

I just cant get on with a posch 360.

I bought a Dunn 420 from Wilson's a couple of months ago and they're still waiting on a hydraulic component from Italy, they very kindly sent me a 360 to play with while I wait for mine.

I think I was maybe expecting it to be the best thing since peephole bra's but I really don't like it.

It hates timber with any bends at all in it, and if you have to jiggle the log from the deck to the infeed you cant reach the joystick to send it along.

The log clamp doesnt seem to have enough time to work before the blade starts moving so sometimes it starts to cut before the logs clamped.

Don't think you can readily adjust feed speed of the blade for different timber.

A lot of dust and chip is thrown back at the operator.

A large proportion of logs bounce when they hit the splitting chamber, needing to be corrected.

The outfeed doesnt slew ( maybe an option)

When  moving with a forklift it less balanced than a scotsman at hogmany.

On the plus side it seems incredibly heavily built and if you have nice straight timber its fantastically quick.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on a machine that I'm not fully up to speed with but I expected more for a machine that comes at a premium compared to others.

• Like 1

Agreed - you are not up to speed.

I have had 2 and nothing compares.

No processor likes bent twisty timber, but you get used to it.

The clamp is not as good as a Tajfun, but I will modify it at some stage.

Compared to a chainsaw processor where the chains dull in no time at all, the TCT blade is 100% amazing.

Far quicker on small dia. than anything I know.

You will be able to take your pick of processors when the new regulations kick in and the 'Firewood Police' get to work, as the market will be absolutely flooded with splitters and processors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

You will be able to take your pick of processors when the new regulations kick in and the 'Firewood Police' get to work, as the market will be absolutely flooded with splitters and processors.

Interesting. Been hoping to buy a road tow processor for a while now. 

2 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Just on that point....  Genuine question - do you think it will really make that much difference?  I think the firewood police will be just behind the Brexit unicorns, the woodland pixies and the Irish Leprechauns.... Not entirely sure anyone but the bigger players will take any notice.  May be wrong. 

• Like 5

" Just on that point....  Genuine question - do you think it will really make that much difference? "

100% without doubt.

When I heard talk of General Licence changes and pest control, we all thought " that will never happen as there would be public outcry etc"

Look now how we are all cowering in fear of losing our various certificates !

I have spoken at length to the powers that be and with the resources at their disposal very few will escape the net.

Remember that despite what you may hear, agencies all work in collaboration, so for a start you have  the eyes and ears of the Police, LPA's, Environment Agency, DEFFRA and Customs and Excise to name some.

Several of these already troll the countryside going about their daily business, then you have the whistle blowers, curtain twitching types and those with any sort of grievance.

Finally you have the end user - who will demand what they have read in practically every publication and social media source they encounter in addition to the legislation being in the user manual of every new wood burning fuel appliance sold.

Can you prove traceability and sustainability of everything you sell. Have you got full accounts, Invoices etc.  that cross reference with sales etc. etc.

The gold rush is well and truly over.

Do you still hold the same view ?

Edited by arboriculturist

33 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

" Just on that point....  Genuine question - do you think it will really make that much difference? "

100% without doubt.

When I heard talk of General Licence changes and pest control, we all thought " that will never happen as there would be public outcry etc"

I have spoken at length to the powers that be and with the resources at their disposal very few will escape the net.

Remember that despite what you may hear, agencies all work in collaboration, so for a start you have  the eyes and ears of the Police, LPA's, Environment Agency, DEFFRA and Customs and Excise to name some.

Several of these already troll the countryside going about their daily business, then you have the whistle blowers, curtain twitching types and those with any sort of grievance.

Finally you have the end user - who will demand what they have read in practically every publication and social media source they encounter in addition to the legislation being in the user manual of every new wood burning fuel appliance sold.

Can you prove traceability and sustainability of everything you sell. Have you got full accounts, Invoices etc.  that cross reference with sales etc. etc.

The gold rush is well and truly over.

Do you still hold the same view ?

Maybe I'm just seeing it through a different lens.  

Totally agree with all your points above and certainly would expect established and reputable firms shifting large volumes to be affected by the requirement to abide by legislative impositions.

Maybe it'll be the medium to large outfits that will abide and maybe some will regrettably decide to withdraw under the yoke of additional administrative pressures.

That still leaves a fairly significant chunk of smaller, independent, rural types that will just crack on as normal seemingly oblivious to centrally imposed red tape.

Similarly, some Nouveau stove users, ex-city dwellers, DFL types may trouble themselves with the stove operating manuals and also be influenced by social media campaigns urging us to buy ecologically preferable imported, electrically kiln dried logs at over inflated prices whilst simultaneously rejecting the age old tradition of truly ecologically sound, sustainably sourced low transport miles local firewood.

It won't bother me either way but if there is a sudden rush of 2nd hand processors on the market I might dip my toe in!

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 6

My clients will believe that I haven't nicked what I'm selling them - they're tree works arisings - , they believe me when I tell them the logs are seasoned.  They couldn't give a monkey's about what is blatant bureaucracy as long as they're getting good firelogs.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

100% without doubt.

Pigeon shooting round here is like it never happened .  There was an initial lull when Chriss Packham  kicked off but its all back to normal now .

Edited by Stubby

5 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Similarly, some Nouveau stove users, ex-city dwellers, DFL types may trouble themselves with the stove operating manuals and also be influenced by social media campaigns urging us to buy ecologically preferable imported, electrically kiln dried logs at over inflated prices whilst simultaneously rejecting the age old tradition of truly ecologically sound, sustainably sourced low transport miles local firewood.

You mean those that will come out with a small hatchet and moisture meter to test the load before you drop it?

2m3 is about a transit load so most will be able to sell this at any time of year as long as it is accompanied by an invoice stating it needs seasoning even if it is dry enough to burn.

• Like 4