SC 292 starting problem

Mark Belgium

Hello all,

Since I want to expand my stump grinding works, I bought a Vermeer SC 292 on an auction. The machine did not start at the auction due to an empty the battery. At home after charging the battery, the machine wouldn't start anyway. It is equipped with a Kohler Command Pro EFI ECH 749. I do not have have kohler diagnostics, but with a MIL installed, I was able to read the  fault codes: 0351 and 0352, meaning ignition coil malfunction cylinder 1 and 2. Since the machine always fires at the beginning but then immediately shut down, I was sure there was nothing wrong with the coils. But to be 100% sure, a continuity check was done and find OK for both cilinders. Then I checked with sparkplug testers (between plug and coil): it was obvious that at the start attempt the ignition works fine, but as soon as the engine fires (which happens fast), the ignition is shut off. I think it means that the incorporated safety system is active immediately after start, firing. I'm not touching the handles, so this safety device should not be interfering with the start. But touching the handles gives the exact same problem. That's why I'm thinking that there is a wiring problem of some kind in the machine. I cannot find anything in the manuals provided by Vermeer. I really hope one of you can help me out.... 

In Addition, the normally closed oil pressure switch works fine and the continuity check of the wire to ground was ok.

Since I'm not familiar  with Vermeer stump grinders, there is a chance I'm not performing the correct start procedure....

Really hope on you all...

Kind regards

Edited by Mark Belgium