How do you secure firewood for chopping?

Matt5100

7 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I actually think it might have been the outside of the left boot, behind my little toe (it was a very long time ago!). Either way, don’t do it!

Barefoot literally keeps you on your toes. And if it does not, well, it certainly wont a second time. Maybe flipflops are are actually the future? Certainly explains why they are so commonplace in the far East. 

If you want a very safe method then this one is not too bad with a protector against kickback, they are just under £50

I personally use this metal log holder to do several logs/branches at the same time again for just under£50 on fleabay.

Easy to take apart and store but you need to slip a length of 2x4 in the gap provided underneath to protect the chain 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

<p>This metal saw horse from Tectake is a practical helper for easy log sawing. With our sturdy saw horse, you can use your...

tons of stuff on youtube if you search for log sawhorse so you can build your own

Stuff I find annoying is small diameter logs coppice stuff branches etc that I cut up for kindling as they liable to fly up.

Was thinking need a saw with a small 1/4 pitch chain ideally might be smoother?

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stere said:

Stuff I find annoying is small diameter logs coppice stuff branches etc that I cur up for kindling as they liable to fly up.

Was thinking need a saw with a small 1/4 pitch chain ideally might be smoother?

I think the key in all this is to have the thing that does the cutting secure and fixed and the thing you are cutting held by you .  Stand up band saw , circular saw bench etc etc ...

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Stere said:

Not having rakers filed to agressive =  less grabby chain helps

Didn't like the logmaster as slower than just attacking a  pile all at once

But you are using chainsaws all day long and the log master is probably safer for the home owner occasional user

The sawhorse log holder above does have an adjustable clamp but I hardly use it.  If the chainsaw is sharp(???) and you attack the logs at full revs, I have never had a log spin or fly back. It is not the end of the world if it does as it is contained within the sawhorse.

i have had more trouble trying to cut small branches on the ground which are liable to spin or fly up or end up with me cutting earth or worse.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Billhook said:

Or this

At first i thought this was a good idea then within 2 seconds decided its a death trap.  with a few safety tweeks it could be good.  as it is if you trip or slip like you do when theres round bits on the floor and you go flying you could easily loose a arm or head. 

• Like 2