Entec/timberwolf 150 bearings

dig-dug-dan

11 hours ago, doobin said:

Would be very interested indeed to hear how changing the engine on a towed chipper could invalidate your vehicle insurance.

We were talking about this a while ago. It leaves the manufacturer with a CE plate which forms it's identity. Once the identity changes, the CE plate is invalid. All a load of tosh I know.....but that is what stands. We aren't allowed to tow those not fitted with the CE plate on the road - even though it is the same spec etc as the one with the plate!

Yonks back, I had a County Transit, I got it second hand from a dealer. As part of the deal, I got them to swap the smoky 2ltr petrol for a diesel. I got a producer one day and the Police noticed that the V5 still stated Petrol and advised me that the identity was then not as stated so all insurance was invalid. Similar situation in a way. 

5 minutes ago, PeteB said:

We were talking about this a while ago. It leaves the manufacturer with a CE plate which forms it's identity. Once the identity changes, the CE plate is invalid. All a load of tosh I know.....but that is what stands. We aren't allowed to tow those not fitted with the CE plate on the road - even though it is the same spec etc as the one with the plate!

Yonks back, I had a County Transit, I got it second hand from a dealer. As part of the deal, I got them to swap the smoky 2ltr petrol for a diesel. I got a producer one day and the Police noticed that the V5 still stated Petrol and advised me that the identity was then not as stated so all insurance was invalid. Similar situation in a way. 

I dont think if the police pulled you they would be interested  if the machine had a ce plate, they would be more interested in working lights, correct tyres and coupling devices, and if you had the correct licence to tow it, assuming its not a sub 750kg machine!

• Like 2

We always pondered this issue, "who the hell cares and who the hell checks?". Tier 5?, who are the emissions Police and what are the penalties? Sub 750? Anyone ever get a tug for something just out of the scope? Doubt it.....

We could all change the settings in the electrics, swap a couple of belts and pulleys, break the seal on the throttle stop and wind it up and boom! Back to 35hp and nobody knows! Tuners have been doing stuff like that since the I.C.E was invented!

What happens when a part of the engine fails? (Unlikely I know) The Kubota Approved Service Agent sees the broken seal, and the warranty is void. 

• Like 2

Everything is a risk in life, it’s about amount of risk and perceived reward.

I would say there is zero risk of getting a tug from the bill about it. 
If raising it back up to 35hp (and that engine will do 45hp with a turbo very comfortably with the same size components inside) is doable, I would definitely do it.

If you’re the guy feeding it day in day out rather than the guy selling them I bet you’d feel the same.

No offence intended Pete.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Everything is a risk in life, it’s about amount of risk and perceived reward.

I would say there is zero risk of getting a tug from the bill about it. 
If raising it back up to 35hp (and that engine will do 45hp with a turbo very comfortably with the same size components inside) is doable, I would definitely do it.

If you’re the guy feeding it day in day out rather than the guy selling them I bet you’d feel the same.

No offence intended Pete.

I feel sorry for Pete, his hands are tied, and is having to stick to silly rules. But, it's possible to alter the settings without anyone knowing!

But, has anyone ever heard of any kubota engine component failure requiring warranty work? They are pretty bullet proof

• Like 1

Just to make things crystal clear, I stated at the end of my update that the guy can reset the engine to its 35hp status, but I need to make it clear that he will not do it for you, just that he has the capacity to do it. In other words , it can be done, just not by him.

And I would also make it clear to any manufacturers who get on their high horse, that it's up to us as purchasers what we do to our machines, so if we want to spent 26k and then get more power from it, we can, and we will

• Like 4

Good grief it's sad. Breaks my heart to hear British men of today wringing their hands over whether Nanny will punish them for towing a remapped chipper... Meanwhile the police they're so scared of cower and run from thugs and anarchists. Country awash with unpunished criminals, real criminals, and the backbone of the nation is scared of Nanny. Sorry guys but this attitude really bugs me. The road to utter humiliation, from whence there is no return, is one step at a time. Map the damn chipper and tow it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Sounds like your man really enjoys doing high quality work, fair play to him. And I would say he is under valuing his expertise! 

Not seen the 25hp replacement versions of the old 34hp in a like for like format as yet. But I know pulley sizes were being changed in some machines to make the gearing better / making the most of 25hp?

Forst were advertising "clever gearing allows for no loss in performance" in roundabout words...

@Haironyourchest
I think your heart breaking over this is a bit of an overreaction, maybe stick to real life eh?

But, if your family were killed by a driver/tree surgeon, who instead of spending a day peacefully feeding a 25hp chipper which left him calm and thoughtful and prepared for a considerate and lawful drive home, but rather was using a 35hp machine raging like an untamed animal, this transformed him into a kind of hopped up meth head, whooping and hollering, careering across the road in his transit at speeds of up to 45mph, till he inevitably ploughs it into a bollard on the A272 on the Scats roundabout near Billingshurst (possibly due to someone turning into the municipal tip without indicating) causing a firenado that kills hundreds within seconds, including your family.

You‘d think a bit differently then wouldn’t you?

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Haha 3