Caravan Crash....

chopperpete

1 hour ago, Ian C said:

I got a snake on with our loader on the back of the Landy on the motorway, I just floored it to 120 and all was good, I have big balls though !

Was it a Series 2 running on LPG though?

Because they have loads of power in reserve,so it was more likely 160 mph to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I know when you are lying, ya lips are moving.

That's harsh Eggs! remember the 660 of Johns? who told porkies then!

I think Mike has it nailed!

Ok i confess i was doing 55mph, she got a wiggle on so i slowed down and all was good, that shounds shit though so i went for the 120 story.

• Haha 1

As has been alluded to, I think the single axle nature of what is a very large caravan didn't help. 

The driver was also clearly going far too fast. I imagine that he would have experienced some wind sheer as he passed the lorry at speed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ian C said:

That's harsh Eggs! remember the 660 of Johns? who told porkies then!

I think Mike has it nailed!

Ok i confess i was doing 55mph, she got a wiggle on so i slowed down and all was good, that shounds shit though so i went for the 120 story.

Guilty as charged.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2020 at 08:47, Ian C said:

I got a snake on with our loader on the back of the Landy on the motorway, I just floored it to 120 and all was good, I have big balls though !

..... Unlike some ? its obvious really. Worked out the science, if energy of a wave  ( snake)  amplitude is increasing - ( the snake) you increase the wavelength by speeding up ie extending the wavelength- as energy cannot be created or destroyed-  the amplitude decreases  ( less snaking) k

On 30/08/2020 at 10:25, Mike Hill said:

Was it a Series 2 running on LPG though?

Because they have loads of power in reserve,so it was more likely 160 mph to be honest.

Bollocks it was a Lada 1600. As stated. Caravan didnt snake on The Series as Series is heavier.  K

Edited by Khriss
( by a ton metric)

29 minutes ago, Khriss said:

..... Unlike some ? its obvious really. Worked out the science, if energy of a wave  ( snake)  amplitude is increasing - ( the snake) you increase the wavelength by speeding up ie extending the wavelength- as energy cannot be created or destroyed-  the amplitude decreases  ( less snaking) k

Obvious!,  tell that to trailer towing instructors.

• Haha 2

I was told by a trailer instructor to time your braking with the inward ‘swing’ of the snake, and let off as it passes through centre. You need to brake hard enough to get the overrun trailer brakes to apply. 
I tried it once with a wildly snaking trailer going down a big hill. It ended in tears - trailer on its side overtaking me and pushing me into the central reservation. I was going to crash anyway so thought it worth a try - in theory I’m sure it could work but I’ve no idea how one could practice this particular manoeuvre safely!!! 
(I could have theoretically tried accelerating out of that particular incident as I had enough power and was going down a massive hill - however, I reckon I’d have genuinely ended up going well over 100mph and I’m not convinced that would have improved my situation in any way!) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1