Failing Chainsaw from Rope & Harness Course

RossTheClimber

So I’ve been looking at the NPTC assessment sheet for the chainsaw from a rope and harness ticket, and it’s clear what needs to be demonstrated in order to pass.

BUT I’d like to know what would constitute a FAIL, eg cutting through your hinge.

Anyone on here recently sat their ticket and know of any failure criteria? Even better, any assessors able to give some advice?

Cheers,

Ross.

From memory, not starting saw properly, not remembering legal constraints, incorrect unsafe change of anchor point, cutting above yr head, fast descent, swing more than 2m, leaving fly unzipped....usual stuff you see on every Arb site ?  K

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RossTheClimber said:

So I’ve been looking at the NPTC assessment sheet for the chainsaw from a rope and harness ticket, and it’s clear what needs to be demonstrated in order to pass.

BUT I’d like to know what would constitute a FAIL, eg cutting through your hinge.

Anyone on here recently sat their ticket and know of any failure criteria? Even better, any assessors able to give some advice?

Cheers,

Ross.

Are you aware of the current guidelines with the two rope working system? You will be expected to complete your assessment on two ropes. I would say the main failure points would be poor cuts/no hinge, cutting in a dangerous work position/saw too close to the body/body in kickback zone, not using chain brake, cutting one handed, visor /ear defenders up whilst cutting etc.

Edit: Your climbing kit must be fully compliant with LOLER and you need to be able to show proof.

Edited by The avantgardener

I think if you do something really daft eg cut too close to your body, which is dangerous then they may fail you on the spot.

I don't remember all the cuts, we had to get in position and then wait for the assessor to get round and see us cutting. I do remember you have a certain number of attempts, so for example if you're doing a step cut to snap and the lump falls down because your overlap is too small then you would have another go - but you can't keep going all day till you get it.

So in your example about cutting through your hinge yes that could cause you to fail but not on the first time.

I was also advised not to be too ambitious about what to cut in the assessment, there is no rule about how big the pieces need to be so I think mine were all on the same limb.

I did mine 20 years ago. I got failed for dropping my hand held cut. It was a Sycamore in the height of summer and I didn't account for the weight of the leaves etc. Anyway I was failed straight away. That made me think more about weights, cuts and associated risks. I passed a month later so not all bad. Things must of changed since then if you get more than one go in a test. Must be great great getting a do-over. Shame you can't get it when you drop something on a shed

Edited by gand
  • Like 1

Make sure you keep applying the chainbrake. Make sure you clip up the saw on your harness before disconnecting it from the line that it is sent up on. People that fail usually do so for silly mistakes that put them in danger, not because their their cuts aren’t perfect. Use your ropes to lock you into a good solid work position so you have proper control of the saw. Take your time, relax.
The assessor will be looking at the performance as a whole and whether the candidate can climb and cut safely as a beginner.

• Like 1

While I was on my coarse I heard of a guy  before failing, because he was slow and a bit lazy at climbing the tree,(it was an easy tree)  then when he did 2 cuts wrong he got a fail.

i think most examiners are a bit flexible.  But It goes to say if you get off on the wrong foot with him, your be almost pissing into the wind. ?

19 hours ago, RossTheClimber said:

Cheers,

Ross.

If you have the spec then you have the answers. A good assessor can't fail you for something which doesn't appear in the Spec. The easiest things to fail for would be inaccurate cuts, poor work positioning or poor use of the saw.