Crane fed tracked Jensen

josharb87

1 hour ago, josharb87 said:

So would a 6" greenmech be better?! ? 

Wished I could say yes!  To be fair,Jensen are a well made bit of kit. In my opinion, a drum machine and backed up with a swing shovel with a straight grab or grip n snip would have been a better option for a site job.  That Jensen would be best suited to rail with a flat ground and easy access to site with no real thick timber greater than say 8". 

As Ash says, probably well more than you estimate but that adds to the flavour and yes, in excess of 4000kgs which is tractor trailer or big truck!

Must admit I'm with Pete b , looks a great bit off kit but in practice is 12" not too small a chipper to fully benefit from being crane fed??

Being remote control will help as at a better angle to see wot ur doing.

I spent a bit off time on railways years ago working with 18" PTO chippers a cracking took especially when fed with a noted or the like.

But at 12" 1 or 2 folk would most likely easy walk the whole tree in 

Plus a hell off a money when u add in the transport hassle/costs would be better on a bigger machine

Ive an 8" Jensen and occasionally crane feed with an Alstor (he places the tree on the hopper and i manually give the last 12" a push in). Our productivity quadruples at least, plus we're not knackered at the end of the day.

This would be one man doing 3 mens job, 6 months and the crane has been paid off with saving staff costs

• Like 2

12 hours ago, josharb87 said:

If it’s rows of this sized trees all in a heap there’s no way 2 guys will be feeding whole trees, let alone 12”

(this was the last time it was force fed btw!) 

Do this myself with a safetrack 1928 and 3 ton digger with grab, makes life much easier ?. Would love a 12 inch safetrack tho ( cant see past greenmech safetrack for access ? )  got a job coming up where we have to fell and sned and stack sub 12inch diseased larch over 4 hectares, all of which is just being left to rot but forester wants it to look neat for public! Be much quicker and easier to track through woods chipping whole trees ?

Edited by jmac
  • Like 4

Super machine and would probably devour conifers if the smaller Jensens are anything to go by.

as others have said , much better fed by mid sized digger or tractor with crane where ground conditions allow.

that crane would struggle in turning long trees or limbs.

There’s always a few 12inch pto chippers with small cranes on them advertised , usually with really low hours. They just don’t reach enough in one set-up and are too fiddly and inefficient to operate.

horses for courses I suppose .

@josharb87  was my earlier point , working on banks or uneven ground kills the lads , even a small crane is a godsend - only in Rail you have Overhead line considerations to avoid . Stacking timber in lengths without Manual Handling issues is a big Plus for us as client is always shouting abt it . K

6 hours ago, Khriss said:

@josharb87  was my earlier point , working on banks or uneven ground kills the lads , even a small crane is a godsend - only in Rail you have Overhead line considerations to avoid . Stacking timber in lengths without Manual Handling issues is a big Plus for us as client is always shouting abt it . K

Not to mention Adjacent Line Open

Although I never saw it working apparently  a few of our lads would pick up a straight stem at the butt and and the 13" chipper would track up to it and then track forward through the tree spewing the chips off to one side.

The issue was to avoid large pieces being left lying that could be thrown onto the track. The alternative was poor in that it involved banding all the bits together with high tensile wire and staples to rot down.

Edited by openspaceman
  • Like 1