tacho defaults to other work at lights?

richy_B

Tacho query. I'm driving along and stop at a red light. For the 20 odd seconds I am there it defaults to other work. But I'm obviously no doing other work, I'm just stopped in traffic. 

Is this legit/Do I have a dodgy tacho?

You need to visit a tacho centre, there is a parameter setting they can change that stops it from doing it, happens occasionally on our fleet, mainly with a new truck that hadnt been set up right at pdi, or if its had a tacho head repair/new head fitted.
  • Thanks 1

It is perfectly normal.

I think the last tachos that you changed manually between drive and other work where about 1990, since then they have been called automatic. The first automatic ones still had a paper disk, and record drive when moving regardless of what they where set to, but reverted to the selected mode when stationary. The next automatic ones, where around 2000ish, still a paper disk, but a drawer slid out to put the card on (sometimes called CD player type), they recorded drive when moving and defaulted to other work when stationary. Digital tachos from around 2006, had a quirk that could change the mode, with the ignition being turned on, eg your on break, and turn the ignition on to open a window, the tacho would change to other work, this feature could be altered by a tacho centre, But still changes to drive, when moving, and other work when still. 

Early digital tachos record a minute driving, even if you have not driven for a full minute, (in a queue), later tachos work out the times on the majority of the minute, and the minute before and after it, eg in a queue stationary minute 1, minute 2 drive 29 seconds, minute 3 stationary, the machine will record 3 minutes other work (stationary).

Just go by what your card/tacho head says, regarding driving times and breaks.

On a VDO head if you press the down arrow, it will show your driving times totals, and current activity times.

Driving time and other work counts as the same in regards to WTD. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Craig. said:

It is perfectly normal.

I think the last tachos that you changed manually between drive and other work where about 1990, since then they have been called automatic. The first automatic ones still had a paper disk, and record drive when moving regardless of what they where set to, but reverted to the selected mode when stationary. The next automatic ones, where around 2000ish, still a paper disk, but a drawer slid out to put the card on (sometimes called CD player type), they recorded drive when moving and defaulted to other work when stationary. Digital tachos from around 2006, had a quirk that could change the mode, with the ignition being turned on, eg your on break, and turn the ignition on to open a window, the tacho would change to other work, this feature could be altered by a tacho centre, But still changes to drive, when moving, and other work when still. 

Early digital tachos record a minute driving, even if you have not driven for a full minute, (in a queue), later tachos work out the times on the majority of the minute, and the minute before and after it, eg in a queue stationary minute 1, minute 2 drive 29 seconds, minute 3 stationary, the machine will record 3 minutes other work (stationary).

Just go by what your card/tacho head says, regarding driving times and breaks.

On a VDO head if you press the down arrow, it will show your driving times totals, and current activity times.

Driving time and other work counts as the same in regards to WTD. 

Very comprehensive explanation . 

2 hours ago, Khriss said:

Hate Tachos,  the digital ones are worse  ? K

I am still getting the hang of it.  F*cked up the other day - I had just parked up and my phone rang about a site issue. Got distracted and left my tacho card in. Didn't get use the truck again for 2 days so it seems to have put me as other work for about 40 hours straight.  

I did a print out of the days and wrote on the back what happened.  Signed and dated it.  Hopefully covered. 

Edited by richy_B
  • Sad 1

Tacho units are a necessary evil based on haulage being your main job. It is advisable to get used to, and always doing, the paper version to back up the card. We are all guilty of not doing so as the percentages are on our side by and large!

On my GreenMech Ranger tow tug, you can press driver one button for drive, work or rest and it automatically will always revert to drive once the truck moves, returning to the previous setting when you stop... Remembering to set it to 'out of scope' is another thing I have a habit of forgetting. I too have left the card in for a few days, even when someone else has jumped in!

I have only been had for one tacho infringement in 20 odd years and that was for being in scope, not having a card(disc) in place and not keeping daily, manual records. Boom! £200 for the one offence of not keeping manual records. At that time, I didn't know you had to! I just make a note in the diary if I remember now....