Big CC Chainsaws a thing of the past or will new models come out soon?

Jamie Jones

Bloody hell! Is that what they use? I bought a 3120XP for milling, which i kinda regretted the moment i paid for it and picked it up off the ground, discovering the damn thing weighs about 15kg fully dressed.

I knew it was thirsty but 2 tanks per slab might make it completely uneconomical for me. [emoji53]

If you’re cutting slabs using a full tank at a time, (12’x 4’).
The value of the petrol is about 1-2% of the price of the slab.
2 full tanks to cut a slab would pay for half the saw at least when dry.
Or your chain is blunt.[emoji848]
[emoji106]
  • Like 2

Bloody hell! Is that what they use? I bought a 3120XP for milling, which i kinda regretted the moment i paid for it and picked it up off the ground, discovering the damn thing weighs about 15kg fully dressed.

I knew it was thirsty but 2 tanks per slab might make it completely uneconomical for me. [emoji53]

The log I was milling was maxing out my 48” Mill. Elm log. 3m long. So say a 42” Log.

Might not have been bang on half way through the log but certainly having to fill the tank each slab whilst buried in each slab, along with the oil tank.

Then once out the cut I’m filling again on deck. Then again at some point in the cut.

Maybe 880’s are better on fuel than the 088’s? Who knows.

I’d like to think the chains are sharp Saul? [emoji16]

18 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

I knew it was thirsty but 2 tanks per slab might make it completely uneconomical for me. ?

....... Thats why i avoid picking one  up  ?  K

• Like 2

The log I was milling was maxing out my 48” Mill. Elm log. 3m long. So say a 42” Log.

Might not have been bang on half way through the log but certainly having to fill the tank each slab whilst buried in each slab, along with the oil tank.

Then once out the cut I’m filling again on deck. Then again at some point in the cut.

Maybe 880’s are better on fuel than the 088’s? Who knows.

I’d like to think the chains are sharp Saul? [emoji16]

Yiu should be able to cut that with less than a tank full mate.
[emoji106]

10 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Yeah, it's a pretty miserable thing to use really. Not impressed, shouldn't've bought it.

Never bothered felling with one as i dont live in the Amazon - only used logging up big butt ends. Which is fine until you find a nail with it then pick up a lighter saw to finish the cut.  Basically i never bothered. Which oddly is what my school teacher said. K

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Khriss said:

Never bothered felling with one as i dont live in the Amazon - only used logging up big butt ends. Which is fine until you find a nail with it then pick up a lighter saw to finish the cut.  Basically i never bothered. Which oddly is what my school teacher said. K

I've only used it a couple times, for cutting big stumps low and for ringing up a couple big stems. Partly using it for the sake of it.

Got a 395 to use instead next time.

• Like 1