Covid 19 inconsistencies

Acerforestry

22 hours ago, GardenKit said:

So the over 60' should be isolated from the rest of society, while the younger ones carry on as normal?

Surely 'normal' includes visiting parents, grandparents etc?

Or visiting businesses run by over 60's of which there are many.

22 hours ago, Stere said:

Ättestupa

I'm not saying that the over 60s should either be completely isolated or effectively pushed off a cliff.

What I am saying is that they are the high risk group and it's up to them what risk they take. For your average, spry 70 year old, it's still very unlikely to kill you and they may determine that they'd rather continue with life as normal and take that risk. Equally, they may not and I respect both points of view.

Regardless, this extension of severe social restrictions is going to have such monumental effects on our economy and society, that not only will be be paying for it for decades, the death toll from the associated increase in poverty, cuts to social and health funding and all the other unforeseen will dwarf whatever covid could do. 

So, to put it into Tory style super simple soundbites - protect the old and vulnerable, the rest of you crack on but respect their vulnerability. 

(and also, if you're a bit of a heffer, stop eating and go for a walk!)

Edited by Big J
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Big J said:

I'm not saying that the over 60s should either be completely isolated or effectively pushed off a cliff.

What I am saying is that they are the high risk group and it's up to them what risk they take. For your average, spry 70 year old, it's still very unlikely to kill you and they may determine that they'd rather continue with life as normal and take that risk. Equally, they may not and I respect both points of view.

Regardless, this extension of severe social restrictions is going to have such monumental effects on our economy and society, that not only will be be paying for it for decades, the death toll from the associated increase in poverty, cuts to social and health funding and all the other unforeseen will dwarf whatever covid could do. 

So, to put it into Tory style super simple soundbites - protect the old and vulnerable, the rest of you crack on but respect their vulnerability. 

(and also, if you're a bit of a heffer, stop eating and go for a walk!)

Looks like you are not alone J. I get the feeling that the powers that be may well have an understanding of the fact that they got this wrong big time, but don’t have the courage or decency to change direction. Probably more likely as a result of face saving and self preservation than anything else. 

B22E7D18-1A38-42A1-8CDF-E510380492EB.png

C5D221EA-5E9B-4338-B906-694B78FC0BF2.png

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

J’s more “Tory” that he likes to admit..... ????

I’d say most on here are hard working, independently minded, decent enough types whom are happy to stand on there own two feet, pay a bit of tax and generally do the right thing etc etc. Is that more right than left ??‍♂️?‍♂️

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Agreed 

(apart from the tax thing)

Lol well I’m no fan of HMRC and I’m currently being hammered due to the IR35 bollocks but my own view is I’d happily support a say 20-25% rate across the board for all once over the tax free allowance, you work hard you earn more, not as we have now where you are penalised if you succeed. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

What makes the entire situation so frustrating from a personal standpoint is that we live in one of the local authorities that has consistently had amongst the lowest covid rates in the country. We're presently second only to East Cambridgeshire.

The obvious shortcoming of a sweeping policy like national lockdown (or the distillation of it that we are presently suffering) is that it makes no allowance for areas that have been largely unimpacted. You cannot treat inner cities like rural communities and vise versa. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Big J said:

What makes the entire situation so frustrating from a personal standpoint is that we live in one of the local authorities that has consistently had amongst the lowest covid rates in the country. We're presently second only to East Cambridgeshire.

The obvious shortcoming of a sweeping policy like national lockdown (or the distillation of it that we are presently suffering) is that it makes no allowance for areas that have been largely unimpacted. You cannot treat inner cities like rural communities and vise versa. 

J I’ve just sat and watched the Welsh health minister on BBC 1 justifying the new restrictions in parts of Wales.  His argument in favour was partly based upon the fact that an area locked down two weeks ago has seen cases drop ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️No shit of course if you keep everyone inside, destroy business activity, restrict movement and human interaction plus the other results we see from lockdown restrictions  then rates of transmission will drop!!!. The question no one asked him was what do you do after the latest series of lockdown ??. Are we destined to follow a ludicrous rollercoaster of lockdown open lockdown open until the idiots try and look at this for what it really is ie a virus that has a minimal affect on the overwhelming majority that catch it. 
I wonder how many of the politicians or scientists making these decisions have suffered financially or seen a business fail, default on a mortgage etc over the past 6 months, I’d hazard a guess and say it’s probably zero. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:

J I’ve just sat and watched the Welsh health minister on BBC 1 justifying the new restrictions in parts of Wales.  His argument in favour was partly based upon the fact that an area locked down two weeks ago has seen cases drop ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️No shit of course if you keep everyone inside, destroy business activity, restrict movement and human interaction plus the other results we see from lockdown restrictions  then rates of transmission will drop!!!. The question no one asked him was what do you do after the latest series of lockdown ??. Are we destined to follow a ludicrous rollercoaster of lockdown open lockdown open until the idiots try and look at this for what it really is ie a virus that has a minimal affect on the overwhelming majority that catch it. 
I wonder how many of the politicians or scientists making these decisions have suffered financially or seen a business fail, default on a mortgage etc over the past 6 months, I’d hazard a guess and say it’s probably zero. 

Agreed.

These lockdown restrictions are like having a burst pipe and holding your hand over the leak. It might stem the flow for a while, but the moment you take your hand away, it romps away again. 

We have to learn to live with the virus for the near to medium term. To flog that analogy to death, we need to reduce the water flow. A vaccine is a minimum of 6-8 months off, and there won't be much worth saving if we're in this state (or worse) until then.

• Like 2