Covid 19 inconsistencies

Acerforestry

7 hours ago, Johnsond said:
APPLE.NEWS

Sweden has registered its lowest rate of positive coronavirus tests yet even after its testing regime...

Well if it wasn’t so tragic it would be laughable. 

Yep. 

Takes big balls as a small country to do something different to the rest of the world and for it to pay off. That said, the Swedes are a sensible bunch and their emphasis of individual responsibility and intelligent guidelines wouldn't have worked here. 

I'm over in Sweden next month, and in a quick conversation with a lady at the Swedish embassy, she said she couldn't understand why people in London were having big parties through summer. It seemed reckless, she said. 

That's another point worth making. Obviously, Sweden is still on the quarantine list (which makes no sense at all - much lower infection rate than us) so I emailed the British government to find out more information, ideally when it would be removed. No response. So I called them. Was told I was through to the wrong department, was given another number. Rang that number. Automated menu with no option relating to my issue. Gave up. 

Called the Swedish embassy, had a very pleasant conversation with a nice lady called Vanja, got plenty of info, got a follow up email too. Same experience when I called the Danish embassy (as we'd fly to Copenhagen). 

Why is it that I'm treated with much more respect by staff from embassies of countries that I am not a citizen of than by my own government? ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Big J said:

Yep. 

Takes big balls as a small country to do something different to the rest of the world and for it to pay off. That said, the Swedes are a sensible bunch and their emphasis of individual responsibility and intelligent guidelines wouldn't have worked here. 

I'm over in Sweden next month, and in a quick conversation with a lady at the Swedish embassy, she said she couldn't understand why people in London were having big parties through summer. It seemed reckless, she said. 

That's another point worth making. Obviously, Sweden is still on the quarantine list (which makes no sense at all - much lower infection rate than us) so I emailed the British government to find out more information, ideally when it would be removed. No response. So I called them. Was told I was through to the wrong department, was given another number. Rang that number. Automated menu with no option relating to my issue. Gave up. 

Called the Swedish embassy, had a very pleasant conversation with a nice lady called Vanja, got plenty of info, got a follow up email too. Same experience when I called the Danish embassy (as we'd fly to Copenhagen). 

Why is it that I'm treated with much more respect by staff from embassies of countries that I am not a citizen of than by my own government? ?

Yeah it really does J, something similar in one of Winston Churchill quotes about swimming against the tide as I recollect. 
J check the list of exemptions from quarantine or self isolation when you return. There are numerous categories, I’ve just come back via Holland with 28 other guys none of whom had to self isolate,  we filled in the online form for entry into UK ticked the exemption box and gave reason why. 
Regarding the being treated better I think it boils down to sheer numbers etc as does the whole sensible way of going about your business. For years now in the UK it’s been an attitude of you mess up the state will sort you out. Nanny state to the rescue, too soft etc and we end up with the piss poor mentality we have now to many things. 
As I said in previous posts I’m amazed no one is actually asking the questions regarding the ineffectiveness of the first utterly pointless lockdown. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

J check the list of exemptions from quarantine or self isolation when you return. There are numerous categories, I’ve just come back via Holland with 28 other guys none of whom had to self isolate,  we filled in the online form for entry into UK ticked the exemption box and gave reason why. 
Regarding the being treated better I think it boils down to sheer numbers etc as does the whole sensible way of going about your business. For years now in the UK it’s been an attitude of you mess up the state will sort you out. Nanny state to the rescue, too soft etc and we end up with the piss poor mentality we have now to many things. 

Regrettably, I don't qualify for any of the exemptions, as far as I can tell. My hope is that Sweden will have been taken off the list by then, and if not, well then we just had a nice week in Denmark :D

5 minutes ago, Big J said:

Regrettably, I don't qualify for any of the exemptions, as far as I can tell. My hope is that Sweden will have been taken off the list by then, and if not, well then we just had a nice week in Denmark :D

J I’d not let the self isolation thing worry me. By sounds of it like myself you are out in sticks and tend not to be in amongst big crowds. Old fashioned common sense counts for more than any bit of guidance or regulation. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

J I’d not let the self isolation thing worry me. By sounds of it like myself you are out in sticks and tend not to be in amongst big crowds. Old fashioned common sense counts for more than any bit of guidance or regulation. 

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. My wife is a bit more concerned, as she tends to care what other people think! ?

If the regulations were as they are at the moment, I'd happily take the whole thing to court, asking them to justify why Sweden wasn't removed from the red list when it's case rate is much lower than the government's own threshold. I'm argumentative like that! ?

1 hour ago, Big J said:

Yep. 

They have a vastly different mentality than us. But also they tax everyone much more and also their population is significantly smaller. Its the same dealing with Norway.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Big J said:

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. My wife is a bit more concerned, as she tends to care what other people think! ?

If the regulations were as they are at the moment, I'd happily take the whole thing to court, asking them to justify why Sweden wasn't removed from the red list when it's case rate is much lower than the government's own threshold. I'm argumentative like that! ?

J I’d say there is a reluctance to admit Sweden got anything right as that’s pretty much admitting the rest got it wrong big time ?‍♂️

• Like 3

A factor will be, Sweden, like Japan has a generally healthier population  (  I am only disgusted when I go into Town) and more manners and stronger economy. These all combine to give a better result-  not saying its the solution. The solution will be to get rid of that (slighlty less) fat, bleached buffoon first. K

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Khriss said:

A factor will be, Sweden, like Japan has a generally healthier population  (  I am only disgusted when I go into Town) and more manners and stronger economy. These all combine to give a better result-  not saying its the solution. The solution will be to get rid of that (slighlty less) fat, bleached buffoon first. K

Boris being there or not regardless of your politics is neither here nor there. The approach by the UK as a whole not just England is broadly the same as most developed democracies. Sweden went a totally different route that looks to have paid off, looking for individual national characteristics to explain it is pointless. I do recall many on here advocating masks and much much more and deriding those whom voiced a different opinion. 
As previously stated the initial catastrophically damaging lockdown is starting to look more and more like a total waste of time. MSM has long since lost any credibility in regards this virus. I’m just wondering when if at all people will wake up and kick back against the level of control being forced upon them based on downright deception and lies. 

• Like 4