Cocker spaniel

Matthew Storrs

The problem is there getting it.

I'd say in normal times 6- 800 quid for a decent bred working cocker with not too much FT breeding.

Folk are off there heads paying 2k for any pup, heard off labs going for 3k +. Bonkers.

I too would advise a more working pedigree than show lines, in an ideal world a working dog should be more trainable and bark less ( as a fault in shooting) than show lines, althou avoid to much FT completion FTCHs in immediate lines unless u know ur lines.

Some can be a real handful while others are great.

But some heavily FT bred dogs are also quite inbred now.

The problem is too many folk breeding from rubbish bitches even before the money went mental, and many aren't working

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

The problem is there getting it.

I'd say in normal times 6- 800 quid for a decent bred working cocker with not too much FT breeding.

Folk are off there heads paying 2k for any pup, heard off labs going for 3k +. Bonkers.

I too would advise a more working pedigree than show lines, in an ideal world a working dog should be more trainable and bark less ( as a fault in shooting) than show lines, althou avoid to much FT completion FTCHs in immediate lines unless u know ur lines.

Some can be a real handful while others are great.

But some heavily FT bred dogs are also quite inbred now.

The problem is too many folk breeding from rubbish bitches even before the money went mental, and many aren't working

Yeah 600-800 was about what I was thinking they went for, but can’t find many ads under £2k at the mo- except in Ireland ? 

I have a working cocker bitch, great work dog, happy to ride in the van, great ball drive, will retrieve anything.

shes just had a litter of pups during lockdown, we sold them for £750.    Although this is to friends 

• Like 1

I'd just bide ur time unless ur desperate.

Sadly I suspect will be a glut off dogs being rehomed in a few months time. 

U might get some for sale for normal money if folk just wanting a decent home and u miss all the puppy hassle.

Althou it does mean u could have issues to fix too.

Must admit I wouldn't touch an Irish bred dog, always cheaper over there but I never trust any pedigree from over there unless u know the breeder.

• Like 1

there was a article on tv tonight about dogs it was saying that the price had nearly doubled because in the lockdown there was a lot more demand for pets it also said that there had been a big surge in theft of dogs even the micro chip dos not work very well as there is several different organizations that they are registered to and they do not have a central database to check the number      

8 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Yeah 600-800 was about what I was thinking they went for, but can’t find many ads under £2k at the mo- except in Ireland ? 

A good alternative would be a " Sprocker "  Say 3/4 Cocker 1/4 Springer . That way you would still keep the size of the Cocker . One of the best dogs I had was a Sprocker . He is in my avatar .

IMG_4667.PNG

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

A good alternative would be a " Sprocker "  Say 3/4 Cocker 1/4 Springer . That way you would still keep the size of the Cocker . One of the best dogs I had was a Sprocker . He is in my avatar .

IMG_4667.PNG

He,s a lovely looking dog Stubby?