Fallen oak advice please

Basia1979

Thank you for all your replies.

I will leave it be as not worth effort and stress. Just reminded them both again that I owe these oaks.

There is more to the story than it's written in the above. Just didn't want to complicate it and tried to find out if it's a fair exchange.

I do not share any boundary with the farmer, nor he owes the lane.

This is not first time farmer plus his friend tree surgeon were prunning the oaks without my permission and cleared all the wood after works, that happened on three occasions as I live here, most of the time I'm not at home (surprisingly) but I managed to caught them doing jobs last November and asked to be contacted if they need to do any prunning for the lane access etc. Yes they both have my mobile numbers.

In the past I hired same tree surgeon to do small jobs on these oaks, he even put the bat box on the same oak which has fallen so their explanation 'we didn't know it's yours oak' seems to be not true.

In the ideal world I imagine that this way:

Oak has fallen, farmer found it, calls me to check if I'm aware, I'm on holiday, he kindly says he can call his friend to sort out, we agree about the cost or exchange for the timber. I would probably asked them to leave few branches in the hedge to keep beetles happy. But that didn't happen. Why? I'm not sure and I hope it's not going to happen again.

I don't think I will buy them a bottle of something nice.

And I planted a silver birch in the gap the oak left.

• Like 4

Yep, I reckon Dan's maths are about right.  36 diameter mature oak like that, my guess is 8m3 give or take a couple, and as cut, split and stacked firewood that could be £800, delivered.  Top whack a grand if its 10m3, but that's delivered, cut, split and seasoned for a couple of years.  I also think £850 to take it down and clear away is cheap, for an oak that size it could be twice that.  You've not lost out, I'd say you've done quite well/been lucky.

12 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

When was this? Where are the leaves? Is everything dead or has this issue been dragging on for a few months?

Where are the leaves ?  Don't think he needs the leaves . Could be wrong ...

I’ll go out on a limb then.....

You've had your pants royally pulled down!

The tree surgeon is a chancer that knew full well he wasn’t dealing with the tree owner and any invoice he wants to draw up is due to the person that engaged him - there’s no contract with you. Actually, he’s stolen your property and possibly trespassed  whilst doing so. 

The farmer is in similar territory. 

So you weren’t on site. ‘Reasonable’ would have been sever the stem and push the tree to one side for you to deal with at your discretion (and expense) later. That would have been a bottle of malt as a thank you 

Yes, it may have cost +/- £850 - £1000 to sort later, or it might have cost £0 if left to naturally decompose but that would have been YOUR decision. 

What’s done is done, Id agree the hassle of getting heavy about it now is likely more trouble than it’s worth - but if such liberties are not highlighted, discussed and resolved they are guaranteed to continue. 

The farmer needs telling that he doesn’t enter or act beyond his own land and the tree surgeon should be told that he’s stolen your timber, can send his invoice to his mate and expect no future work or recommends. 

Unless resolved, you should expect similar liberties in the future. 

It’s a load of pony what’s been written above about feeling ‘obliged’ to them....

Could you post up your address? Next time I’m passing I’ll just nip indoors, make myself a sandwich, kick my boots off, put my feet up, pour myself a beer and watch your TV.  Then, if you’re not happy, I’ll offer to bill you for my time and effort

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Ohhhh Kev  ? who got out wrong side of bed this morn !! K

* chorus of 'grasping bastard farmer rolling in tax payers cash like a pig in shit '  *

It’s all very well you laughing @Bolam, as I was reading the earlier posts I was thinking “that’s a pre-Stella” reply....

Itd be crazed mob and flaming torches “post-Stella.”

(Or maybe I’m just applying my own likely response...)

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It’s all very well you laughing @Bolam, as I was reading the earlier posts I was thinking “that’s a pre-Stella” reply....

Yes.

• Haha 1

In a way- every 'householder ' post on Arbtalk ' with a queries ' is getting, in some cases a vast amount of technical and background knowledge For Free.

In a way it's a bit cheeky cos there is some Arb out there missing out a call or Site visit to assess a job or act as advisor (   AND get paid for it to put a loaf on his / her table )

Worth bearing in mind .   K

Edited by Khriss
( BUT not worth - in Kev's case turning into a swivel eyed loon with piss boiling out of his ears- funny as it may seem )
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It’s a fair cop Guvnor!

As we all know, there are three sides to every story....

• Like 5