Fallen oak advice please

Basia1979

57 minutes ago, Khriss said:

In a way- every 'householder ' post on Arbtalk ' with a queries ' is getting, in some cases a vast amount of technical and background knowledge For Free.

In a way it's a bit cheeky cos there is some Arb out there missing out a call or Site visit to assess a job or act as advisor (   AND get paid for it to put a loaf on his / her table )

Worth bearing in mind .   K

That is an unarguable truth K!

However, the 'arb' that would most likely be 'missing out' in these circumstances would likely be the character that has done some work before and is local.  I dread to think what sort of 'advice' one might get from that source.

It is, of course true, that a householder may get a bundle of free 'opinions' from AT, and it's a bit like ask the audience - there'll be a reasonable spread of responses and it might be possible to take the mean average as a possible best way forward  - or to use that as the sounding board and confidence check for the individual advice supplied by the local tarmaccer.

Now then, which of the contributors above that suggested a bottle of screech was appropriate was involved in this scenario?  Come on, we know your tricks! 

• Haha 1

If you woke up one morning and found the Farmers Bull sleeping on your drive way.

Could you shoot it and drag it behind your car to the Butcher and give the farmer a choice between a Bill or keeping the Steak yourself?

Farmer Palmer and matey Chainsaw have scored a nice Oak But and some firewood.Do you guys thing for a minute that all this didn't get loaded into a grain trailer and trundle off to another part of the farm?

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

That is an unarguable truth K!

However, the 'arb' that would most likely be 'missing out' in these circumstances would likely be the character that has done some work before and is local.  I dread to think what sort of 'advice' one might get from that source.

It is, of course true, that a householder may get a bundle of free 'opinions' from AT, and it's a bit like ask the audience - there'll be a reasonable spread of responses and it might be possible to take the mean average as a possible best way forward  - or to use that as the sounding board and confidence check for the individual advice supplied by the local tarmaccer.

Now then, which of the contributors above that suggested a bottle of screech was appropriate was involved in this scenario?  Come on, we know your tricks! 

Guilty as charged ?  yr 'Onour .

Frankly I have been cutting back of late.  K  

It's actually the Subsidence ones that annoy the most.  I deal with a lot of these professionally  and can sniff out the dodgy ones.

Edited by Khriss
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Guilty as charged ?  yr 'Onour .

Frankly I have been cutting back of late.  K  

It's actually the Subsidence ones that annoy the most.  I deal with a lot of these professionally  and can sniff out the dodgy ones.

Totally agree.  Often's I used to spend time 'chatting' on potential job sites and just waffling on about trees in general.  Only to find matey from down the pub did it for the firewood.  Had a real beauty a month or so back: 

Phone call at 8 o'clock at night asking if I'd go and have a look at a tree that needs "...a couple of branches taking off..."

Me - Where are you, what sort of tree is it, can you describe what it is you think you want to do?

Them - Well, its a tree, can you come and have a look?

Me - Where are you?

Them - Lanivet.

Me - Can you take some pictures and email them to me so I'd have a better idea of what the problem is?

Them - No. I could mail you a picture but that'd take too long. Why can't you just come and have a look?

Me - Because it'll take 2 hours out of my day and I don't really want to run around all over Cornwall looking at trees unless you want to cover the time and miles.

Them - 2 hours? Where are you? 

Me - Liskeard.

Them - I can get to Liskeard in 45mins.

Me - That's as maybe but I expect you'd want to go home afterwards too? So that'll be 45 mins travelling each way and 15-30 mins to have a look at the tree. 

Them - Well.... How much would that cost?

Me - Fifty pence per mile and £50/hour.

Them - Oh, is that it then, end of conversation? 

Me - Up to you really.... You're looking at £150 + VAT for the time and travel otherwise I'm running all over Cornwall "looking at trees" and not earning any money. 

Didn't seem too happy for some reason..... Might have got the sense that I didn't really appreciate an 8PM phone call to look at a tree which MIGHT need a couple of branches off which is a 50 mile round trip away....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

If you woke up one morning and found the Farmers Bull sleeping on your drive way.

Could you shoot it and drag it behind your car to the Butcher and give the farmer a choice between a Bill or keeping the Steak yourself?

Farmer Palmer and matey Chainsaw have scored a nice Oak But and some firewood.Do you guys thing for a minute that all this didn't get loaded into a grain trailer and trundle off to another part of the farm?

That's a good analogy.  The pic below is not 'exactly' in line with the scenario - but any excuse to use it is must be grabbed ?

IMG_1952.jpg

• Like 4

Hmmm were I live is quite remunerated and can guarantee the dinner invite will be at least an hour informing on their trees (   I have pointed out that have spent all week looking at trees - )  I like trees just not THAT much   ?  K  ( pass that Merlot )

The Farmer has taken your property and via his mate holding you to ransome

You have no contract between the Farmer or his mate.Farmer Palmer might have had the right to clear the obstruction from his land,but not to take your property. 

Personally I would ask to be paid £800 for taking my Tree.In the least be talking with a Solicitor. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

The Farmer has taken your property and via his mate holding you to ransome

You have no contract between the Farmer or his mate.Farmer Palmer might have had the right to clear the obstruction from his land,but not to take your property. 

Personally I would ask to be paid £800 for taking my Tree.In the least be talking with a Solicitor. 

Don't even think it was on Farmer Pelmers land . Op said he did not own the lane .