Electric sharpener.?

billpierce

21 hours ago, adw said:

Dreadful things, users get over zealous with them and case harden the cutters, they then chip easily and are like glass so you cannot sharpen by hand, just my opinion based on what i have seen over the years.

Should use coolant .  Won't be case hardening though .  That involves heating up and dipping in carbon .  Work hardening , yes .

• Like 2

Should use coolant .  Won't be case hardening though .  That involves heating up and dipping in carbon .  Work hardening , yes .

I use a paintbrush in a jar of oil and water stirred up to paint the cutters as I sharpen them. Works a treat to keep them cool.
  • Like 2

I have a cheap Silverline one, the difference is I have a speed control fitted to it so you can slow the wheel right down so the cutter doesn't over heat and this can be further reduced by dabbing the wheel on the chain.

It isn't rocket science, friction causes heat so lower the friction by short contact and less speed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stere said:

Was thinking about cbn chainsaw wheel seems thry exist in the USA

WWW.MOREDIAMONDWHEEL.COM

CBN Grinding Wheel for Chainsaw Sharpener (high speed steel grinding)Diameter: 4

It’s a game changer. I have a Chinese drill sharpener with a cbn wheel. It’s incredibly accurate for £280, perfect angles, relief and damn good point splitting/web thinning too. All adjustable if you know what you’re trying to achieve which is nice. 

Maybe they do similar for chainsaw? I’ll have a look later.