Storing saws with petrol in, flushing them?

drinksloe

Alright!

Just bought a couple off 2nd hand husky 5 series saws ( 50 and 60)

Done bugger all and price was right.

The only potential problem I can see is being stored all the time with petrol in them.

Is there anything u should put throu them to flush the modern carbs?

Or just new fuel and give them a load off work?

15 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Alright!

Just bought a couple off 2nd hand husky 5 series saws ( 50 and 60)

Done bugger all and price was right.

The only potential problem I can see is being stored all the time with petrol in them.

Is there anything u should put throu them to flush the modern carbs?

Or just new fuel and give them a load off work?

Replace all the rubber components you can afford to do . Fuel pipe , carb diaphragm , and then run / store them with alkylate fuel . Aspen or similar . . 

• Like 3

To be fair I will be running them both on 2 stroke, both will be used as spare/back up forestry saws so be a bit pricey to run on aspen.

As u'll know fairly normal to use a combi can a day or more.

I will just make sure to run them dry from now on.

Was just wondering if owt else I could put throu them initially other than new fuel

Just sitting here thinking are 5 series not 25:1 mix??

I have a few huskies but all 3 series m nursing along, bought a few off the last 1s.

2 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

To be fair I will be running them both on 2 stroke, both will be used as spare/back up forestry saws so be a bit pricey to run on aspen.

As u'll know fairly normal to use a combi can a day or more.

I will just make sure to run them dry from now on.

Was just wondering if owt else I could put throu them initially other than new fuel

Just sitting here thinking are 5 series not 25:1 mix??

I have a few huskies but all 3 series m nursing along, bought a few off the last 1s.

50:1 on modern synthetic .

• Like 1

I believe the enemy to be evaporation, as that leaves behind resin deposits. The Stihl manuals say for long term storage run dry but for a few months fill the tanks.

I've always stored my saws brim full and used quality two stroke oil, there are 10, 25 and 45 year old saws in the garage which have never had the carbs stripped, I would now be more worried about letting them dry out than leaving old fuel in them.

I'd just store them full and give a run every month or two so you know they work ok, nothing more annoying than a backup that doesn't work when you come to use it.

41 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I believe the enemy to be evaporation, as that leaves behind resin deposits

What I have experienced is similar but not so much resins and 2t oil being left, often in the crankcase which makes initial starting a bit smoky. I haven't started my 084 for a year or three so must try that, not on a day of quiet though.