What engine for a predator 360?

Thesnarlingbadger

Hi people,

Had a bit of bad luck earlier in the week when the connection between the piston and the con-rod snapped on my 360. Long story short the con-rod has smashed through the engine casing and a new engine is the only option.

I’ve been trying to figure out if there is a specific GX390 engine that I need to get. The guys at Predator told me it is a 1” shaft and gave me the model number GCBCT2010522 but all I can find on the internet are GX390 engines that don’t have information about the specifics.

If found this on L&S

WWW.LSENGINEERS.CO.UK

GX390 QX Engine 1

But am unsure weather this will suit. I looks like a fairly straight forward replacement. Just old engine off mount the new engine and connect the throttle cables up and the fly wheel to the pulley on the belts but I don’t know if there are GX390’s out there that won’t fit the grinder.

Any ideas or insights? Has anyone had to do this before?

Pictures of the mess below IMG_2815.jpgIMG_2818.jpg

• Sad 1

Those engines are pretty bullet proof, it obviously took some strain to throw a leg out like that. I’d buy a secondhand one from an old generator that hasnt worked hard during its life. Be far cheaper than buying new, and if that fails on you then do same again, you’ll spend less on 2 or maybe 3 second hand engines including time to swap over than you will do with a new one.

• Like 2

I'm on my third engine from new, the Honda one was crap from the off and never ran right, let go after a year so i just 13hp chinky engines on it, there new for about 200 quid and to be honest i have had v little if any trouble from them. 20 mins to swap over, its a 1" shaft, these engines on small grinders have a hard life but at a couple hundred a year it earns far more in that time.

• Like 1

Same as Ian, I’ve replaced my engine about three times.
Honda aren’t the engine they use to be!
I’ve currently got an engine on my that is branded Worm. The company took over the small engine supply after Subura stopped production of small engines. Exactly the same as the Subura EX40 14hp which is compatible. You just need an engine with a 1” straight Q shaft.
Bought mine from enginesplus for less than half the price of the Honda but has already lasted longer than the GX did.

If the oil is changed every 50hrs, how many hours might you reasonable expect from either a Honda or Chinesium alternative?
I've read the Honda to be designed for 2000hrs plus.
   Stuart

2000hrs, maybe possible in other applications but with a pedestrian grinder operating at all kinds of angles, your probably lucky to get a quarter of that.
  • Like 1