Firewood business ? Could we make it profitable in the first 2 years

Nickb123

20 minutes ago, Nickb123 said:

Hi we are in Grimsby 

how much would a kiln be ? 

Do you know of any wholesale suppliers In our area ? 

thanks nick 

A kiln depends how you do it and is a big step up but could be anywhere from 10-100k plus fueling it.

There's usually a couple of wholesalers advertising here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1697414473879816/?ref=share

14 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Who's going to police the sale of logs?

There's enough busybodies out there that's for sure. Advertise on FB or whatever and Im sure they will come creeping outta the woodwork reporting folk. 

Ive also noticed that to get the RHI for a new Log Burner you have to buy your logs from a Woodsure supplier. Not sure how they police that but I assume you have to provide reciepts to prove you're buying them to get your cash back. Thats kinda scuppered my plans for that unless there is a way around it? I must have anout 50m3 of logs split ready for the instalation next year and if I cant use them then I'll not bother and just keep burning them in the Stove/s and the Ironheart when I come to install that. 

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

There's enough busybodies out there that's for sure. Advertise on FB or whatever and Im sure they will come creeping outta the woodwork reporting folk. 

Ive also noticed that to get the RHI for a new Log Burner you have to buy your logs from a Woodsure supplier. Not sure how they police that but I assume you have to provide reciepts to prove you're buying them to get your cash back. Thats kinda scuppered my plans for that unless there is a way around it? I must have anout 50m3 of logs split ready for the instalation next year and if I cant use them then I'll not bother and just keep burning them in the Stove/s and the Ironheart when I come to install that. 

I never saw nufinck guv , honest   . I mean I never even there ..                                  

Trigger Andy, the way around the issue is to do what we do, become a registered self supplier, you need to kit yourself up to be able to process store and dry your timber down to below 20% moisture.
It’s costs a fair bit of money to do, but if you have access to a reliable supply of free timber it’s worth it. My out lay was the bio mass boiler and installation, a new steel watertight open fronted structure to store logs in, a telescopic loadall, two wood processors and 200 ibcs.
It’s been burning for over two years and provides heat and hot water for 3 properties.
  • Like 1

Yet know someone who did that they get artic loads or sikta cordwood  delivered regular all for own use

Also they built an "self contained" outbuidling  just to be able claim  some adittional RHI tarriff or something.

Edited by Stere

I've been selling firewood for over 15 years,  all barn dried and always sold 20% or below,  

You just need alot of barn space and be 1 year ahead of you self.  

Also you need a large, regular reliable source of timber,  which I find is the hardest.  

I run a tree surgery business and a small forestry company,  so always had a supply.  If I had to buy all of it in, I wouldn't bother, just to expensive to make a profit. 

• Like 2

Running as a business it will probably fail , if you run it as a way of life and spend every minute of your spare time cutting logs and are not worried about hours put in to money back you will survive! Nearly every company I’ve seen set up over the last 5 years has packed up after one or two winters.
We run a similar operation to otter and it makes money but I’m pretty sure if I sat down and worked out the hours and diesel wear and tear on equipment put in you could argue it does not.

• Like 2