Manual tip versus electric tip

carsmarco252

1 minute ago, carsmarco252 said:

Is there money to be saved on a manual tip or is it too small a difference to make it worth bothering with 

There is a difference but not worth what you'll save 

Lower resale value too as noone wants them! 

My ifor has electric tip and also manual if needs ever be

If you can get a manual tip for less than £500 less than a electric tip then you can get a flowfit electric conversion kit for £350, then your in pocket straight away. If you sell the trailer on then you can recoup the cost at resale or take it off to sell on again or refit to something else.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ratman said:

If you can get a manual tip for less than £500 less than a electric tip then you can get a flowfit electric conversion kit for £350, then your in pocket straight away. If you sell the trailer on then you can recoup the cost at resale or take it off to sell on again or refit to something else.

This is good advice.

WWW.FLOWFITONLINE.COM

"Flowfit 12VDC single acting hydraulic tipper powerpack, 11 litre reservoir c/w with 2...

Flowfit 12v tipping pumps are cheap, but make sure you get one with a big enough reservoir to fill the ram. You’ll need 10l plus. 

Don’t forget if you are converting a trailer from manual to 12v tipping you’ll also need a battery and somewhere to mount it (or good leads and some form of connection to your tow vehicle - check out Anderson connectors). This does add cost obviously.

Manual hydraulic tippers are very hard work, the novelty soon wears off. Spend a bit more and marvel at how powerful a 12v motor is!!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carsmarco252 said:

Is there money to be saved on a manual tip or is it too small a difference to make it worth bothering with 

Do any of the trailer manufactures give the option of a manual tip only trailer these days ? i know Ifor used to on the 8ft trailer but you dont see many, forget the trying to save a bit of money, my advise would be but the right trailer from the start, i took the plunge several years ago and went and lashed out on a 10ft Ifor tipper and if i was very honest i would not be with out it, i hate to think how many tonnes of timber i have moved with it, it is on the road moving timber 2-4 days a week and its always loaded, the trailer has been no trouble what so ever and is still in good order, i think i would get back today what i paid for it 7 yrs ago so that to me is very cheap, i have pissed about with old shite for years and got sick of repairing/replaceing stuff so took the plunge, you will not look back if you buy one and but the electric version, Ok it may be more expense but work towards it, do a wk end or 2 and a odd later day to get cash together, you wont regret it,

20180707_082741.jpg

• Like 1

Just a couple of things to add from running electric/hydraulics on trailers over the years. If its to be a permanent addition to a vehicle run some leads directly (inc the earth) from the battery via an isolator to the back of the truck and fit the Anderson couplings high and dry ,somewhere out of the way, they don't like shitngrit or road salt and the covers you can buy are not brilliant. On a tipping trailer its worth paying the extra £30 and going for a powerpack with a manual hand pump overide, anything goes wrong with the leccy its a backup.

https://www.flowfitonline.com/images/products/real_1506191243271.jpg

• Like 3

Manual tip is crap for fly tipping ?. Had one at last place I worked, think it took 3 hundred pumps to tip it fully! Good advice from Bob, mine has it's own battery and manual backup handy for when the battery goes flat and I need to take it out to charge.