390xp vs 395xp

Arran Turner

12 minutes ago, Arran Turner said:

Anyone used both and got a comparison?

Not just in power but reliability etc etc..

Want a new falling saw and I already own an old 385xp so a 390xp would be logical as are the same saw but interested if the larger saw makes a difference..

Ta

Arran

I have both and used to have a 385XP . It got stolen so bought a 390XP . I would say in stock terms the 385 was ported a little more aggressively than the 390 . Just my feeling . Stock the 390 is smooth and reliable . I got my 390 ported by Spud almost immediately . It pulls a 28" full chiz very well . The 395 I have has an MM from the Walker saw shop but not sure if its been ported or not . Bit more grunt than the 390 and pulls a 36" full chiz .404 .  If you can find a 395 I would go for that but they are like unicorns now .  Both saws totally reliable .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

The 395 is based on the 394, which itself was based on one of the last 2 series saw they sold, the 288. In reality, the 395 is really a 295 in spirit. It shares very little aside from perhaps the front AV spring with the 3 series model. The layout and construction are more of an evolution of the 288. Whereas the 390 is basically a larger 372. Thus, the 395 is slightly easier to work on, has a solid mounted intake and larger carburettor, very generous and very robust oiler, as well as an overbuilt chassis. The 395xp weighs almost exactly 2lbs more than the 390xp. With even mild porting if you know what you are doing, the 395 and 394 become monsters. If I were felling and had to choose between the two, I would choose the 390(I used a ported 385XP felling in Oregon). If I were chunking huge pieces of oak, then the 394 or 395. If I were buying new, I would get a 572xp, or whatever is gonna replace the 390. The 572 has the power of a stock ms660 and is a pound lighter. Not saying I am a fan of the eletronics, but good look finding a new 390 or 395.

137564873.c1JOSzx5.394.JPG169184469.OyBTrSoR.jpg

• Like 1

I ended up felling some decent sized Ash with my Spud fettled 390 the other day as my nearly brand new 572 had issues. Got a 24 inch bar on it currently, and used it all day without incident. The incident happened when the 390 had drank all my Aspen so I had to use my felling buddy's Stihl 462 and ****************ed my cut up. I now owe him a new front handle and chain brake handle! ?

Interesting read guys.. ta.. I'm in NZ 390 and 395 are still on the shelves.. not needing it for my big saw got an 880.. will only ever be a 25inch bar on the husky.. just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing out to much if I went 390 over 395.. my 385 is nice but it is old and will be a solid back up saw..