Old Dad in a nursing home .

Stubby

This 'transition ' is something I got to face at some point and absolutely dread it. Dementia seems to run in mums side while dads side live long. Already got an Aunt in her early 90's whose mind is super, super sharp but body is no good - brilliant person but I'm no good at coping with stuff. I'm dreading Mum or Dad starting the next bit, they in their 80's and are in storage 4 hours away....Uncle died of cancer really and couldn't watch the live link to the funeral, I go to pieces!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Paul Cleaver said:

Sorry to hear of your plight Stubby. He has had a good innings - just try and remember this.

Thing is with his strong heart he could go well past the 95 he has clocked up so far but it would be an existence rather that a life . 

• Sad 2

I call my Dad (77) every other day since Mum passed prior to the lock down.

He is still angry that her operation was delayed to the point of no return due to the hospital 'reserving' spaces for a pandemic that never arrived.

Last year he came over and we spend a long week touring the Somme together in the middle of a heatwave.

Visited Waterloo and all the museums and sites associated with the battle.

This year I hoped he would come over and tour the landing beaches and Falaise pocket but that clearly isn't to be.

His two Grandchildren were all over him, he really needed a break from nursing my Mother.

I made the crossing just before the latest quarantine for a week, the first time since frontiers closed in March.

I'm only 2 hours by road and 5 hours by ferry and can see clearly that I will be making the crossing far more regularly and perhaps with a child in tow.

Stuart

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PeteB said:

This 'transition ' is something I got to face at some point and absolutely dread it.

This is how we all feel about you on Arbtalk.

Reading your posts as you decline.

You already post alot of rambling drivel on Facebook.

Pete, PETE! DO YOU WANT ME TO CALL YOUR CARER?

FFS, I think he's fallen asleep in his dinner again.

Stuart

I lost my ol Pops back in 2005 to cancer, he was my friend and Father things get easier over time but I still go to phone him now and again when I have something I would have shared with him. Then lost my Step Father at the end of last year, he was in a home for a few months, very sad after his long and eventful life. We are all terminal, its just a case of when!

WWW.GAZETTE-NEWS.CO.UK

PETER Potter made it one of his life’s missions to keep the memory of the Second World War alive.

• Like 4

Sometimes in the half sleep/half wake thing that I have from about 3am onwards I dream random stuff, cars, pets, houses from the past.

I often half wake up and think ‘I must ask Dad about that, he’ll remember‘ then, as I wake fully, it dawns on me that I can’t anymore and all over again I realise he’s gone.

Same for everyone I guess.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Sometimes in the half sleep/half wake thing that I have from about 3am onwards I dream random stuff, cars, pets, houses from the past.

I often half wake up and think ‘I must ask Dad about that, he’ll remember‘ then, as I wake fully, it dawns on me that I can’t anymore and all over again I realise he’s gone.

Same for everyone I guess.

I've got an older brother I turn to in those times, not the same but I've not known much different. My old man died when I was young.