Big head helmet

Dan Maynard

I've been wearing Petzl Vertex Vent helmet for 4 years, it's a bit faded in the sun so I thought should really be replaced. I thought I was taking the easy option to get another the same - however Petzl in their wisdom updated the helmet in the meantime (2019).

The new one has a structure around the edge so is not as wide inside - it just doesn't adjust as big.

I've done a search and found people asking about small heads but not big. Anyone else had this issue? Especially if they used to wear Vent at just below max size setting?

I've seen Protos fans saying it's great and fits their small head which Petzl never did so I'm not hopeful about that, however good a helmet it is.

Sizing numbers also appear to be of limited use as Petzl didn't change the size range numbering but it's definitely smaller now.

Anyone with 3M as that may be current favourite?

Thanks all.

Dont buy the 3m. I got it and I'm really not getting on with. 

It needs constant readjustment and the visor is forever rubbing my nose. Ear muffs aren't comfy and you have to buy the peltor ones as the sordin conveniently dont clip in properly making them pop off if you look at them.  Where the sweatband connects to the helmet is poorly designed too as 2 little bit of plastic stick into your head and rub. 

Wish I had got the protos tbh.

• Like 1

I’m the same as Rich. Except I just go with it and have headaches regularly. I think that might be more to do with the distribution of pressure with me though, in particular the clip at the back sits right over the base of the skull/neck. 
Had it three years, just making sure I get my money’s worth. 

• Like 1