Blade lubricant safety

Squaredy

For a number of years I have used a little screenwash in with the water in my Norwood bandmill to lubricate the blade.  It seems to work well, but I got thinking about the safety angle.  

The guy who does most of my milling is in his twenties and could potentially work for me for many years into the future.  Despite the breathing apparatus I supply it is inevitable he will breath some in over time, and screenwash does contain several harmful chemicals.

We could just stick to water of course but does anyone else have any suggestions that are effective but known to be safe in the long term?

I am aware that diesel is a good lubricant but I am even less happy about using diesel for the same safety reasons.

Any suggestions other than just plain water?

Does it work well enough with plain water? I'm curious why you started putting the screenwash in. Oil based emulsions are commonly used in the metal cutting world but I'd have thought you don't want any oil on the wood?

If water works though it's 100% safe and no need to justify, anything else probably has an occupational exposure limit to think about.

Probably that screen wash contains an additive to lower the surface tension of water ie a surfactant, and a degreaser  to help with the removal of the film that builds up on windscreens  there for better lubing and cleaning.

one question for you ? Do you used summer or winter screenwash. As the winter one contains an antifreeze methanol/ethanol mix which is also a good degreaser

i,m sure you could just buy the surfactant and add it to the water but as we all know somethings work better with other chemicals in the mix 

edit have you tried a little washing up liquid in the mix, 

Edited by Wonky

Take a look at “Lenox protool lube” its water soluble, biodegradable and non toxic. Can be used for metal/aluminium cutting, milling, reaming, drilling and tapping, and can be used with wood and plastics, we used to get 5L tubs of it at work and would last ages, but we only used it for metal bandsaw which has a recirculating pump so you never lost a lot overall, and cutting/drilling/tapping on occasion with a manual squirty bottle. We’ve gone on to millers now, but i dont rate it! Shite. But its cheap so it wins in the managements eyes!!! [emoji849][emoji849]

44 minutes ago, Wonky said:

one question for you ? Do you used summer or winter screenwash. As the winter one contains an antifreeze methanol/ethanol mix which is also a good degreaser

On screenwash  use, as you mention it; a bit of warning washer bottle is often in the ideal place for legionella bacteria to thrive, the bugs love the warm to cold to warm cycle of the engine compartment, professional drivers have a higher incidence of the disease from repeated exposure to the aerosol from other vehicles washers, so it's important to use a washer fluid in strength enough to kill the bugs.

WWW.NHS.UK

“Windscreen wiper water may be the cause of 20% of cases of Legionnaires' disease in England and Wales,” the BBC...

• Like 5

Lots of interesting points here.  Water on its own is sometimes not enough.  Hardwoods are fine usually it is the softwoods like Larch and Pine that can have really sticky resin when we use the screen wash.  The Lenox protool lube looks interesting I will look into that.

And I hadn't even thought of legionaires.  I am forever warning people to flush through our hose before they use the pressure washer due to legionaires risk - never thought of the blade lubricant water!

Thanks for the info so far.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Squaredy said:

never thought of the blade lubricant water!

I can't see that being a problem it was just the reference to windscreen washer fluid I was picking up on. legionella  thrives in warm static water systems. This is why some renewable energy heating systems have to be heated up to more than 60C each day, to kill off the bacteria, with another support fuel.

18 hours ago, openspaceman said:

On screenwash  use, as you mention it; a bit of warning washer bottle is often in the ideal place for legionella bacteria to thrive, the bugs love the warm to cold to warm cycle of the engine compartment, professional drivers have a higher incidence of the disease from repeated exposure to the aerosol from other vehicles washers, so it's important to use a washer fluid in strength enough to kill the bugs.

WWW.NHS.UK

“Windscreen wiper water may be the cause of 20% of cases of Legionnaires' disease in England and Wales,” the BBC...

Yes I looked at the water bottle and barrels I use for water on the Lucas Mill and looked pretty green/unhealthy last supper. I chuck a milton tablet in now and then to give it a clean