Primer bulb drawing air

Phil H

A small 14" Homelite owned from new (c10 yrs) ran great for the 8 or so yrs occasional use until I let a neighbour use it..... I supplied premixed fuel, came back not running, dirty fuel in the tank (not from my fuel)

I cleaned the Walbro carb, flushed the tank ran ok but would die, & primer bulb drew air, I fitted a carb kit (ebay) but it's still drawing air,

Any input welcome along with suppliers of 'quality' aftermarket carb kits.

Cheers Phil

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil H said:

A small 14" Homelite owned from new (c10 yrs) ran great for the 8 or so yrs occasional use until I let a neighbour use it..... I supplied premixed fuel, came back not running, dirty fuel in the tank (not from my fuel)

I cleaned the Walbro carb, flushed the tank ran ok but would die, & primer bulb drew air, I fitted a carb kit (ebay) but it's still drawing air,

Any input welcome along with suppliers of 'quality' aftermarket carb kits.

Cheers Phil

Primer bulb is punctured , possibly ?

Hi, sorry, I rushed the end of the first post.
When cold, the primer can work fine, when warm draws air, this is drawing air from the carb ie air is drawn in somewhere before the primer, probably the carb.
Either I installed something with the carb kit incorrectly or a poor quality (ebay) carb kit?

Is this a remote purge bulb or connected to the metering side of the carb?
It's not mounted to the carb directly, a pipe draws fuel from the carb, through the bulb then from bulb to the tank.

The saw can prime & run fine when cold, when hot will cut out & primer bulb draws lots of air & the saw won't start.
The pipes look ok with no splits.

44 minutes ago, Phil H said:

It's not mounted to the carb directly, a pipe draws fuel from the carb, through the bulb then from bulb to the tank.

The saw can prime & run fine when cold, when hot will cut out & primer bulb draws lots of air & the saw won't start.
The pipes look ok with no splits.

First thought would be is are the pipe connections to the purge bulb the right way around?

Has the rubber deteriorated to and from? There may be no leaks as such, but as in gravity is doing its job when cold until you first stop the saw at which point everything has become warm/hot, then upon trying to start again its sucking the pipe flat?

When the saw is running the purge is doing nothing, there is a non return valve in the bulb and carb, there is nothing to stop you completely disconnecting it and blanking the connection, it is only there to aid initial starting, the bulb is a purge not a primer, so as said draws fuel from the carb to the bulb, and back to tank.

The short connection on the bulb is usually the suction side, so goes to carb, the longer connection is the pressure side so goes back to tank, if by depressing the bulb it does not fill, then there is no fuel in the metering chamber, so blocked fuel filter in the tank, tank breather blocked, carb screen blocked, metering lever stuck, fuel inlet needle stuck etc.

• Like 2