Metal Detecting finds?

chopperpete

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Just to put the other side of the coin ( pardon the pun ) Metal detector bods used to drive me bonkers when I was a keeper . There I am trying to keep partridge on the stubbles and these guys are marching here , there and everywhere and digging it up ! ☹️

A few decades late to suggest this now I suppose, but... what do think of the idea of seeding the land with thousands of ball bearings and putting up a sign to advertise the fact? Surely that would "ruin" the area for detectors?

• Like 1

A few decades late to suggest this now I suppose, but... what do think of the idea of seeding the land with thousands of ball bearings and putting up a sign to advertise the fact? Surely that would "ruin" the area for detectors?

What do shotguns do....?
[emoji6][emoji106]

32 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

What do shotguns do....?
emoji6.pngemoji106.png

Had crossed my mind. I know nothing about metal detecting (it's illegal to detect for artifacts in S. Ireland so we don't have much of a culture of it here) but I would imagine if lead shot set off detectors then many fields would already be undetectable. I presume the mass and type of metal make a difference.

On 04/03/2021 at 19:21, daveindales said:

First hammered coin with the new detector. Henry vii groat 

PXL_20210228_164824477.jpg

Superb - here is one I had a few yrs ago

superb - here is one I had a few yrs ago

henVII groat (2).JPG

henVII groat.JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Red garnets can be found in Devon.
Sticklepath to be precise.
Used to hunt in the old garnet tailing piles as a kid.
emoji106.png

Interesting, the archaeologists said nothing about Devon.  I will put it to them, but I think they were probably going on continental research or maybe even Roman research as we are talking early fifth century here, just after the Romans left.

7 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

If that is your aim then just spread "green waste". The composted stuff that results from all the recycled stuff from the council. Absolutely full of tin foil which will ruin any metal detectorists day.

As a land owner I wouldn't touch the stuff but if I had issues with nighthawkers I might consider it.

14 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Had crossed my mind. I know nothing about metal detecting (it's illegal to detect for artifacts in S. Ireland so we don't have much of a culture of it here) but I would imagine if lead shot set off detectors then many fields would already be undetectable. I presume the mass and type of metal make a difference.

It could cause the metal detector to produce background chatter. This would not make the field undetectable but could cause lack of detectable depth. The bigger problem is the metal in the spent cartridges.  

On 05/03/2021 at 18:04, Rough Hewn said:

What do shotguns do....?
emoji6.pngemoji106.png

Yes the lead shot is negligible but the real pain are the brass cartridge caps.  The old ones had cardboard tubes which rotted and left a coin sized piece with writing. I remember finding my first one with my first detector.

Blimey,  I thought, 12th century and King Eley!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6