Metal Detecting finds?

chopperpete

There is a circle of beech trees about 100 yards from my front door in the middle of an arable field on a South facing slope on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds.  The old man who lived nearby and who died in the 1950s, told my father that a man and his horse were buried under the trees.  I always thought that it was one of those tall stories but if true may have been some survivor of Waterloo or similar.

A metal detectorist came by and asked if he could look around so I suggested the trees and the field where I could keep and eye on him

He found some brooches and there was a skeleton underneath.  The University of Sheffield were conducting a dig about fifteen miles away and I asked them to investigate.

Here is the video.  If you are not interested in archaeology then Dr Alice Roberts is worth watching without the archaeology, especially as she likes wild swimming!

I bought myself a Deus XP and found the little boar's head with the red garnet eyes.  My heart jumped when Alice said that it was her favourite object of the series.

The mind boggling thing is that red garnets were only found in one place in the world at that time--  Sri Lanka.

So how did sections of African elephant tusk (they found five altogether and dated to the same 6th century period) and red garnets from Sri Lanka arrive 100 yards from my front door 1500 years ago?

The silver bracelet and Roman bronze bowl, nearly 2000 years old are also fantastic finds

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Billhook said:

There is a circle of beech trees about 100 yards from my front door in the middle of an arable field on a South facing slope on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds.  The old man who lived nearby and who died in the 1950s, told my father that a man and his horse were buried under the trees.  I always thought that it was one of those tall stories but if true may have been some survivor of Waterloo or similar.

A metal detectorist came by and asked if he could look around so I suggested the trees and the field where I could keep and eye on him

He found some brooches and there was a skeleton underneath.  The University of Sheffield were conducting a dig about fifteen miles away and I asked them to investigate.

Here is the video.  If you are not interested in archaeology then Dr Alice Roberts is worth watching without the archaeology, especially as she likes wild swimming!

I bought myself a Deus XP and found the little boar's head with the red garnet eyes.  My heart jumped when Alice said that it was her favourite object of the series.

The mind boggling thing is that red garnets were only found in one place in the world at that time--  Sri Lanka.

So how did sections of African elephant tusk (they found five altogether and dated to the same 6th century period) and red garnets from Sri Lanka arrive 100 yards from my front door 1500 years ago?

The silver bracelet and Roman bronze bowl, nearly 2000 years old are also fantastic finds

I found that fascinating  , then after a while I wondered how I would feel about my ancestors being dug out of their graves and messed with . Difficult one .  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

Great result. It shows that Metal detecting and Archaeology does work together.

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

Paul, what digging tool(s) would you recommend getting?

Google metal detecting spade. Its a half spade with a plate on top where you put your foot .Its to stop you putting holes in your boots. Better going for the more expensive ones as the steel is stronger, the cheaper one can buckle when  on hard ground 

• Like 1