Metal Detecting finds?

chopperpete

Remember eaves dropping on a conversation about metal detecting around old trees. The chap used google to look for suitable trees, the idea being that people over the years may have sat under them for picnics/other activities and lost coins jewellery etc. Just wondering what you may have found by trees or in trees??? I have a Garratt ACE 400 detector but not found anything of great value, but its a bit of fun to go out with your children. As a starter most Councils will issue permits for a tenner or so to use on their park lands etc...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chopperpete said:

Remember eaves dropping on a conversation about metal detecting around old trees. The chap used google to look for suitable trees, the idea being that people over the years may have sat under them for picnics/other activities and lost coins jewellery etc. Just wondering what you may have found by trees or in trees??? I have a Garratt ACE 400 detector but not found anything of great value, but its a bit of fun to go out with your children. As a starter most Councils will issue permits for a tenner or so to use on their park lands etc...

I personally dont like digging around old trees, I dont want to damage roots, however I do have permission in some woods where the trees are about 40 yrs old. The ground is very stoney which is the key to finding coins and artefact's hundreds of yrs old, as they cant make their way through the ground, unlike most  other soil types. See attached my best find from my previous visit to these woods. Its a silver Celtic coin of the Dobunni tribe and is about 2000 yrs old

lockscreen_wallpaper.jpg

• Like 15

I have detected around lot of trees in the belief that people will have dropped stuff whilst sitting under them and never found more than anywhere else.

Never going to find any Celtic units down here in Devon. Our local tribe the Dumnonni never minted any coinage but relied on barter instead. Idiots!

8 minutes ago, Xiucutil said:

I have detected around lot of trees in the belief that people will have dropped stuff whilst sitting under them and never found more than anywhere else.

Never going to find any Celtic units down here in Devon. Our local tribe the Dumnonni never minted any coinage but relied on barter instead. Idiots!

my local  tribe are the Cornovii - no coins minted but you get the odd coin from other tribes but they are rare. Try and get into Dorset - Durotriges coins are not uncommon

Have a look at look at the Garratt range. Also recommend their pin pointer (orange or black)

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

There is a coin depth mode 8 sensitivity settings, 5 pre set hunting modes and the most advanced LCD graphic screen for a quick and easy identification of the target. Electronic...

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Shop Garrett Pro-Pointer at. Free delivery on eligible orders of £20 or more.

Edited by chopperpete
  • Like 1