Pulley saver Vs Rope guide

DB2K

Having a pulley is 100% worthwhile. Tree work is already physically demanding enough, they make your life easier. 
As for which, I’ve owned both and prefer the pulley saver. It’s a bit more versatile, has fewer metal parts to smash off the concrete and in my experience is easier to retrieve. They’re both top quality products though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owned and used all of these: All great products...

Ropeguide Twinline far more versatile then normal Ropeguide. Being able to set from the ground is a big advantage.

Teufelberger pulleysaver is the most versatile for Ddrt IMO, As Mr Squirrel says above easier to retrieve, Can be set in more configurations. 

• Thanks 1

The Ropeguide twinline is by far the best option and super versatile for the work I do. You can do practically everything if you have the splice anchor as well and the advantage of being set from the ground on a line and retrieved without having to drop it from height is a great bonus.

This isn't knocking anyone that has posted here but all of the local people that I've found who say there is something better than the Twinline, haven't used one and just make comments on the price. It really is a great bit of kit

Aye tommy I’m not doubting it is but it just looks too over complicating a relatively easy set up.
One thing I did notice many years ago , I did find a bit of a transition period for climbing on a pulley and getting used to less friction in a system , its easier to pull your self up but not hold your own weight until you got used to it...but I’m convinced it’s why double rope started giving me a lot more Injury’s too, I think actually locking your arms to hold your weight with virtually zero friction does not do your elbows wrists any favours on long ascents and why for me SRT is the way forward.clip that rope on your foot and it’s effortless in comparison.

• Like 2

I can see that being the case, the friction has to go somewhere. The best part of the Twin is the installation I think. I remember being blown away the first time I saw a cambium saver being set from the ground, the fact you can put the twinline in from the ground and use it straightaway, plus the SRT and access line already in makes it great IMO.

If you're using it in the traditional way, there's no difference from the Original Ropeguide, just fancier and more robust pulleys and cams etc.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Having a pulley is 100% worthwhile. Tree work is already physically demanding enough, they make your life easier. 
As for which, I’ve owned both and prefer the pulley saver. It’s a bit more versatile, has fewer metal parts to smash off the concrete and in my experience is easier to retrieve. They’re both top quality products though. 

In what way do you find the pulleysaver more versatile?

• Like 1

another usp for the rope guide that nobody has mentioned yet is the way the cam releases on retrieval, creating more slack. The pulleysaver with the prussik doesn't do this.

If that wasn't enough the pulleysaver retrieval loop isn't midline attachable like the rope guides, meaning you have to take the retrieval ball off each time you install it. 

• Like 1

Ive not owned either, but years ago i spliced my own pulley saver it was brilliant far easier climbing. 

Good friend had the ART and that was also a beautiful product, seemed to retrieve easier 

But i climb everything srt now 

Edited by mtt.tr

Rope guide over the pulley saver, worth the extra money. 

You do have to hold a rope tighter with a pulley but you can do things to help reduce the strain on your wrist and elbows. 

Use a foot ascender, 

Once you have weight under you hitch you should be able to  self tend the rope from above, SJ3 is the best for this but ZZ will do the same and even the HC on the VT

Some good gloves with plenty of grip. 

When my rope guide is done I will,  definitely replace it with a twin line if I not mastered SRT by then ?