Help - Removal of trees - heave

Ramo

Question

Hi everyone, 

I am about to exchange on a house, 3 bed semi in NW London. The vendors claimed for subsidence in 2018, whereby the experts on behalf of the insurance company believe it was caused by "byroot exacerbated clay shrinkage subsidence". The property suffered cracks to the rear extension, the rear elevation and to a dividing wall. The pattern of damage indicated downward movement to the rear extension. The level of damage to the property was classified as category 2 in accordance with BRE digest 251. 

The remedial works included superstructure repair works, and the removal of a large number of trees to the rear (please see pictures attached). 

My buildings surveyor noted that it is usually unadvisable to remove the trees in their entirety given the ground is clay and there is an equilibrium between the trees and the house. He also noted it was a particularly hot summer in 2018 and with the buildings damage being minor, it seems like an extreme measure. 

My question to the group (and my concern) is the potential for heave in the upcoming years. Given the trees were only removed approx 18 months ago, would you have concerns in purchasing the house. 

Appreciate any advice that you may have. 

Screenshot 2020-08-11 at 17.01.12.png

Screenshot 2020-08-11 at 17.01.40.png

Screenshot 2020-08-11 at 17.01.57.png

Ah yes, the OPs situation, and my own, largely fall into that I guess.  Damage that isn't making the house unliveable or in danger of collapse, as annoying as unsightly cracks and stuck doors and windows are. The big stress is knowing that I want to move as the family has outgrown the house, but attitudes to subsidence mean I can't afford to, unless it's fixed.  That then is very stressful.  Were houses not so absurdly expensive, particularly in London and the SE, I guess that wouldn't be such a problem.

I think that climate change has created a big problem for insurers and there will be a change needed.  Perhaps subsidence insurance will be a scandal like the PPI one.

• Like 1