Which MEWP?

benedmonds

Looking at purchasing a MEWP. What do folk like/dislike. 

It will be used.. Thinking a budget £20-£30k.

It needs to be reliable..

I think we need 20m min.

I don't think we can afford or need tracked.

In the past we have used the 3.5 toners with the folding lifts, but feel the straight lifts look stronger? No real reason to think that..

Also considering 7.5 tonners. While it might make drivers and access more complicated I feel they are less likely to have been abused as normally hired with operator.. I feel they are better put together then 3.5 ton trucks and subjected to 6 weekly checks.

Also looks like a good selection in the Netherlands.  Is it easy to import or is bringing over a non local machine likely to cause more maintenance issues if no local dealer? 

Screenshot_20200811-090518_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200811-090300_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

We hire in a nifty 17.5 almost weekly 

there best of both easy to tow, light and no need for a trailer  and you can walk them into tight spots, 17.5m seems to do most of what we need, two hire shops within 10mins have them so normally i can get one 

there sturdy at full reach too, 

we looked at buying one but we can hire for £150 a day or £250 a week, the second hand ones were around 15k and complete dogs of machines, brand new about 27k but I did't fancy the maintenance commitment.

One thing I have noticed about locals who have mewps is they seem to take them to every job which is a nice idea but can't help think sometimes there taking them just for the sake of it, doing dismantles with a mewp is a awkward, 

James

x

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/08/2020 at 08:24, benedmonds said:

Looking at purchasing a MEWP. What do folk like/dislike. 

It will be used.. Thinking a budget £20-£30k.

It needs to be reliable..

I think we need 20m min.

I don't think we can afford or need tracked.

In the past we have used the 3.5 toners with the folding lifts, but feel the straight lifts look stronger? No real reason to think that..

Also considering 7.5 tonners. While it might make drivers and access more complicated I feel they are less likely to have been abused as normally hired with operator.. I feel they are better put together then 3.5 ton trucks and subjected to 6 weekly checks.

Also looks like a good selection in the Netherlands.  Is it easy to import or is bringing over a non local machine likely to cause more maintenance issues if no local dealer? 

Screenshot_20200811-090518_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200811-090300_Chrome.jpg

How did you get on with cherry picker shopping in the end? I am in the same position as you and have been looking at the Nissan cabstar mounted ones but not much for sale at the moment

40 minutes ago, Treeman123 said:

How did you get on with cherry picker shopping in the end? I am in the same position as you and have been looking at the Nissan cabstar mounted ones but not much for sale at the moment

We ended up buying another truck and sticking with hiring the mewp.  Trying to block the mewp jobs together. Currently got one on hire for 10 days on 5 or 6 different jobs. 

Place I brought our cabstar tipper had a 20m MEWP.  I nearly brought it but decided our old izusu needed to be moved to back up truck and pockets not deep enough to buy both.. Wesellanyvans.com. 

I am still tempted..

2008 08 NISSAN CABSTAR 2.5 35.13 MWB SHR 40300 miles only 130 BHP

Edited by benedmonds

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2020 at 09:24, roseyweb said:

We hire in a nifty 17.5 almost weekly 

there best of both easy to tow, light and no need for a trailer  and you can walk them into tight spots, 17.5m seems to do most of what we need, two hire shops within 10mins have them so normally i can get one 

there sturdy at full reach too, 

we looked at buying one but we can hire for £150 a day or £250 a week, the second hand ones were around 15k and complete dogs of machines, brand new about 27k but I did't fancy the maintenance commitment.

One thing I have noticed about locals who have mewps is they seem to take them to every job which is a nice idea but can't help think sometimes there taking them just for the sake of it, doing dismantles with a mewp is a awkward, 

James

x

£250 a week? that seems a third of the cost of round us.lucky you

I would agree that mewp with poor outreach is not much use on dismantles.

if you’ve got decent outreach it’s a different story.

we often bring the mewp just for access into huge trees, do the bits it can reach then climb in and get groundy to take it away.

thats probably the main advantage for me of owning over hiring .