Help with no stress EC150

Richard Moss

Hi all. I am new to the Arb profession, but getting started and loving it so far. I’ve been forced into it by the Covid impact, but am slowly getting some work and building my business on the side of being a gamekeeper that’s not shooting this season. 

I have got quite a bit of kit now and purchased an older Greenmech EC 150 chipper last month with a knackered Lister Petter engine that I’ve since rebuilt and now sounds sweet. After a bit of love the machine sounds and runs well but the no stress isn’t working. I found a thread on this from a previous user that mentions the tap under the back which is currently switched to bypass the NS, and have tried turning it back which slows the rollers down. My question is on the back underneath the in feed there is a solenoid with 2 wires, the wires are disconnected and one seems to have power down it, does anyone know which terminals on the solenoid they are meant to be connected to as there are 3 terminals and just 2 wires. I don’t want to just reconnect and blow something, but would like to get it working and not blow up my nice new engine. Also can anyone explain the sequence for getting the NS working as I’ve obvs not used it before I’ve just got a red flashing light. Thanks in advance Arbtalk members 

344BEB6E-4407-441A-ACDC-6393F125B374.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Richard , sorry I've only just noticed this post.

Right , the two wires at the No-stress solenoid go on the two small contacts and it doesn't matter which way they are connected as it's just a coil.

With the ignition on you should have a positive at the one wire as you say you have.

The other wire is the earth and is supplied by the No-stress box but only when you have a green light on the box.....

The red flashing light indicates that no speed is being detected and is the usual for when the ignition is switched on and the override button is pressed ..

Normally then when the engine is running the light goes solid red and when the revs are increased it should go green.

Check to see if there is a proximity (shaft speed) switch fitted in the aluminium pump mounting housing on the rear of the flywheel ? If it's there , check it's plugged into the back of the No-stress box  ? If it is then you could try un plugging it and carefully try to open the male pins so they make a better contact when plugged in.

There will be an led on the end of the proximity switch where the cable is and this should illuminate with the ignition on and the override button pressed when one of the cam lobes passes the end of the switch.

The gap between the proximity switch and cam lobe should be 1.5-2mm..

If this all looks OK then I would try a new swich as it's a lot cheaper than a No-stress box.

If you can't find a proximity switch then its either missing or it could possibly be one of a handful of eco's that were alternator sensing ?

I hope this all makes sense and helps ?

Jase.

• Like 1

Thanks Jase seems you are the man! I’ve been trough what you’ve said so far and have made some progress, but don’t have a green light yet.

I connected the wires on the smaller terminals, removed the shroud and there is a switch, which was only just threaded into the housing, so I’ve removed it cleaned all the threads and the end, refitted and set and now I have a yellow light on it when the flywheel turns. I also have a solid red light, which when I rev the machine up as high as I dare, which is a good revving speed I still have just the red light. Have left it running at speed and this is the same. The rollers move very slowly to begin and then stop unless I reset the control lever at the back. 

• Like 1

Hi Richard , the No-stress light should flash red with ignition on and override button pressed and then go solid red when movement is detected and finally a solid green when up to maximum revs. This can sometimes look like an Amber colour though.. 

Does the proximity switch light up when both cam lobes pass it ?

You could try removing the back from the No-stress box and check to see the box is set correctly , there should be a list of machine settings in the box or stuck on the back of the lid. 

You could also try inputting a lower roller start speed by altering the dial in the box , if you then managed to get a green light at maximum rpm , it would suggest that maybe the engine isn't revving high enough ?

From memory the engine should run at 2900rpm maximum but i can check this when I'm back in work tomorrow..

Feel free to give me a call on : 01789400044

Jase.

• Thanks 1