TIMBERLINER 8000 TRAILER

Has anyone got a manual for a timberliner 8000 drive trailer or maybe someone fully gets how it operates, pretty well got everything functioning but can't quite work out how to plumb it in to the Valmet tractor!

Three hydraulic lines operating drive train and brakes. From front of train to back:

1) Operates a ram that disengages two flanges and in doing that pushes the rod in a master cylinder operating an inline disc brake.

2) Operates the Brake/Clutch shoes on the large inline drum engaging drive I think!

3) Operates outboard drum brakes on the top of the wheel boggies but also a drum brake? that is directly infront of the diff at the end of the drive train. Maybe some sort of diff lock?

I used to run one of these in the 1990's but memory is foggy!

Any help welcome!!

Mike

3 hours ago, Mike Mann said:

Has anyone got a manual for a timberliner 8000 drive trailer or maybe someone fully gets how it operates, pretty well got everything functioning but can't quite work out how to plumb it in to the Valmet tractor!

Three hydraulic lines operating drive train and brakes. From front of train to back:

1) Operates a ram that disengages two flanges and in doing that pushes the rod in a master cylinder operating an inline disc brake.

2) Operates the Brake/Clutch shoes on the large inline drum engaging drive I think!

3) Operates outboard drum brakes on the top of the wheel boggies but also a drum brake? that is directly infront of the diff at the end of the drive train. Maybe some sort of diff lock?

Any help welcome!!

Mike

I only saw one at shows and read a bit but my mate in Wales swore by his

1) reads like a failsafe brake that is normally held off by the hydraulic coupling

2 ) this seems to be the main drive which was a drum off a lorry axle the drive is engaged by applying the drum brake, the drum and input then all rotate together

4 hours ago, Mike Mann said:

Any help welcome!!

Mike

They were built by J Gardner, ...of Bay Horse near Lancaster...he may help you out.

• Like 1

I used one on a 8100, after the pto  was engaged I think I used to use the spool for either forward or reverse it was very powerful & could push the tractor forward with all the wheels locked up , I think some of the components were off a Ford  Cargo.

you had to be careful after coming off road & using to drive trailer that the pto / coupling had been disabled by shunting back & forward a bit of moving to spool otherwise the shaft would match the speed of the tractor & shear the shaft off, the crane was a Grafter but a few had Botex fitted & you had to be careful because of no legs were fitted so until you got a few big lumps on it was very tippy . 

• Like 1

I can't tell you how good it is to get somewhere at last really glad I joined arbtalk!!

The info on the fabricator hopefully will come good I have found the company and will be getting in touch so will let you know how I get on.

Once I get up and running I will be in touch about the operating tips hopefully later this week!

Thanks again Mike

7 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Well he is just road from me, i know of him but know very little about him, his son-in-law used to haul timber for use,

Aye, Peter J.

Joe Gardner is a very pleasant chap, presuming he is still alive. I have not seen him for around 8 years, so who knows? Clever bloke too.

The idea for the trailers stemmed from someone wanting a driven tanker built. They went on to build a couple of purpose built forwarders, one of which is now in Scotland. Traction on it is brilliant.

They also built a skidder, that was sold on to i think CAT , a factory was built somewhere abroad for assembling them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ESS said:

Aye, Peter J.

Joe Gardner is a very pleasant chap, presuming he is still alive. I have not seen him for around 8 years, so who knows? Clever bloke too.

The idea for the trailers stemmed from someone wanting a driven tanker built. They went on to build a couple of purpose built forwarders, one of which is now in Scotland. Traction on it is brilliant.

They also built a skidder, that was sold on to i think CAT , a factory was built somewhere abroad for assembling them.

who is peter J ? 

i see him driving about now n then, i know about the forwarders as they started life as a MF tractor.