Our project at the moment

gobbypunk

On 08/08/2020 at 20:05, gobbypunk said:

Bloody Shed ,so I decided to glue the roofing felt on got the glue given sticky black shit one side went ok but the 2nd the felt went like squidgy I dont know if its the heat but had to ŕedo one side never had roofing felt go like that before 

Hi, I recon you used bitumen paint which melts the felt...what you need is roofing felt adhesive, they both kinda look the same but they ain't.. I learnt that the hard way too, cheers.

Just noticed this was months ago, so you prob know this by now.

Edited by Macpherson

38 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

I dont think I will do a felt roof again ,it will have to be box profile so much better

Even if your doing a metal roof you really want to put felt or similar under it to provide a waterproof barrier that stops condensation getting to whatever your fixing onto, I usually use OSB / sterling board but it will swell quite a lot if it 's continually getting damp, cheers and seasons greetings.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Even if your doing a metal roof you really want to put felt or similar under it to provide a waterproof barrier that stops condensation getting to whatever your fixing onto, I usually use OSB / sterling board but it will swell quite a lot if it 's continually getting damp, cheers and seasons greetings.

The issue is much the same as insulating shipping containers; profiled or corrugated steel roofing is a near non existent  insulator so the under surface gets cold, worse is that the exterior surface is off the ground and a good radiator, so gets even colder than most of the surroundings. The covered area often contains warmer air than the roof. As warm air holds more moisture than cold air as it meets the cold surface it gives up water to the steel even if the ambient air is above its dew point.

So any insulation under the steel needs to be impermeable to air, else the air moving through it gets colder and condenses out in the insulation. Sometimes a thin cloth layer can be used to wick the moisture away or a tyvek layer can be used to prevent the moisture dripping back down and as the roof warms up the next day the water evaporates.

When I built my shed I used a profiled steel with 30mm of foam insulation bonded to it, which also has the advantage of not getting scorching hot in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should look at epdm roofs, basically its 1.2mm innertube rubber. Its glued down in 1 piece with a water based adheasive and contact adheasive around the perimeter.

Theres all types of trims from kerb to gutter edge and it leaves a tidy finish with a life expectancy of 25 yrs +.

We use it a lot for flat and low pitched roofs as it's so user friendly and can be completed in nearly all weathers.

It's obviously a lot more expensive than standard felt, but on a nice product like your shed or a summer house, it's probably worth it

• Like 2