The Sthil FS410c

Well it appears that there isn't any doubt about it. After some hand wringing I thought get it from the horses mouth so to speak and this is the official response from Sthil ...... 

Hi random person contacting us, 

Thanks for getting in touch.

The FS410C now comes with sealed for life gear boxes so no need for any grease.  It was changed a year so ago due to a large proportion been over or under greased both as bad as each other.

I hope this answers your question

Kind Regards

Tom Eadie

Product Trainer, Technologies & Product Advisor

Andreas Stihl Limited

So there we are. Maybe it wouldve been handy if they mentioned that in the manual. In the same way as when you buy a new brush saw like the FS419c that if it comes with a grass cutting attachment that if you buy the brush blade, you'll be needing to buy the corresponding guard, and washer, and plate. And then if you buy the bramble cutting blade, you'll be needing a few more washers, and spacers and yup .... a different guard as well. But .... no clutch grease cause its greased for life. Somehow. 

Thanks for the replies.

6 hours ago, HaplessPlantKiller said:

I have Sthil hedge trimmers too. No mention of clutch grease in the manual. Lucky I bought some fir the strimmer that doesn't need it  .... then after looking its a different clutch grease for hedge trimmers compared to strimmers. Of course it is ?

Good news, bad news!  ( depending on how you look at it ). The hedgetrimmers now need both types of grease, so the good news is, you will need the one you already have. You also you need to buy the other one as well, tee hee!  The type you already have for the gears, and the other type for the cutters. ?

6 hours ago, Peter 1955 said:

Good news, bad news!  ( depending on how you look at it ). The hedgetrimmers now need both types of grease, so the good news is, you will need the one you already have. You also you need to buy the other one as well, tee hee!  The type you already have for the gears, and the other type for the cutters. ?

Now, living up to the hapless part of my name I already own the "other" type of grease. In an attempt to purchase the correct grease I followed the flippy tabs name on the rail of hanging packets. Merrily walked and paid and left. Only when I got home did I realise that some kind soul had placed the wrong grease on the clutch grease rail. And i bought it. So ... i have "that other" grease. Even has a picture of thenhede trimmer on it. *insert raspberry here"

No ... where i have still failed is that the clutch grease I do have is apparently for their strimmer only. No picture of hedge trimmers on it. After a rummage with Google you have to buy the clutch grease with hedge trimmers on it for .... well you know. 

20200805_070337.thumb.jpg.5c6013d68d8554925f929aee83686fe7.jpg

1 hour ago, HaplessPlantKiller said:

Now, living up to the hapless part of my name I already own the "other" type of grease. In an attempt to purchase the correct grease I followed the flippy tabs name on the rail of hanging packets. Merrily walked and paid and left. Only when I got home did I realise that some kind soul had placed the wrong grease on the clutch grease rail. And i bought it. So ... i have "that other" grease. Even has a picture of thenhede trimmer on it. *insert raspberry here"

No ... where i have still failed is that the clutch grease I do have is apparently for their strimmer only. No picture of hedge trimmers on it. After a rummage with Google you have to buy the clutch grease with hedge trimmers on it for .... well you know. 

To be serious, I'm confused. There are two types of grease, and you have both. The top one ( dark grease)  goes in the angle drive gearbox  on the hedgecutter and the lower one ( almost clear grease ) in the blade gearbox. That's what I've always done. 

Unless there's a third type? ?

2 minutes ago, doobin said:

It'll just be down to the viscocity. Bevel drive lube might have moly in it too or something.

Hedgecutters would like a thinner grease otherwise it sticks in the top casing and doesn't get on the con rods.

Don't sweat it.

I reckon you're bang on, there. You've just described the two greases perfectly. Bevel drive is thick and dark ( Moly, presumably ) and cutter grease is thin, light and clear. Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Peter 1955 said:

To be serious, I'm confused. There are two types of grease, and you have both. The top one ( dark grease)  goes in the angle drive gearbox  on the hedgecutter and the lower one ( almost clear grease ) in the blade gearbox. That's what I've always done. 

Unless there's a third type? ?

I know exactly how you feel. You see Sthil are very particular. They require you to use the right thing in every place. For example a friend had a sthil chainsaw. Made the two stroke oil and fuel mix. Happily logged up for Christmas. But the chainsaw went wrong. Sent it back. Andnthey informed him he had invalidated his warranty because he hadn't used sthil 2 stroke oil. They had analysed the engine coating. He was shocked but they were correct. Hence he no longer buys sthil products because its ridiculous. 

So I've bought the grease but its clear that its uses are depicted by the instruction pictures. On another forum someone mentioned a specific grease for strimmer gear boxes and in reply someone stated that you cant use the strimmer gear box grease on the hedge trimmers. That it needs its own. I can only assume the instructional picture on the grease tube instruct what products you can use it on. No hedge trimmer on that superlube tube.