The Sthil FS410c

6 minutes ago, HaplessPlantKiller said:

So I've bought the grease but its clear that its uses are depicted by the instruction pictures. On another forum someone mentioned a specific grease for strimmer gear boxes and in reply someone stated that you cant use the strimmer gear box grease on the hedge trimmers. That it needs its own. I can only assume the instructional picture on the grease tube instruct what products you can use it on. No hedge trimmer on that superlube tube. 

Superlube-Bevel Gearbox. Multilube- Hedgecutter gearbox. The pics show that. Simples. 

48 minutes ago, Peter 1955 said:

To be serious, I'm confused. There are two types of grease, and you have both. The top one ( dark grease)  goes in the angle drive gearbox  on the hedgecutter and the lower one ( almost clear grease ) in the blade gearbox. That's what I've always done. 

Unless there's a third type? ?

No. If by blade gearbox you mean strimmer blade gearbox. The top one is for strimmers. Pic shows that except my strimmer is designed to not need it. 

The bottom one states its for hedge trimmers and electric chainsaws. Multilub.... 

I've downloaded the manual for my hedge trimmer just now from sthil so it's the latest version. It shows where I need to lubricate. States "every 50 hours of use" so that's different. Unfortunately doesn't give product number for the lube needed. But must be the Multilub because as you said there are only two types for sale on sthil website. 

2 hours ago, HaplessPlantKiller said:

No. If by blade gearbox you mean strimmer blade gearbox. The top one is for strimmers. Pic shows that except my strimmer is designed to not need it. 

The bottom one states its for hedge trimmers and electric chainsaws. Multilub.... 

I've downloaded the manual for my hedge trimmer just now from sthil so it's the latest version. It shows where I need to lubricate. States "every 50 hours of use" so that's different. Unfortunately doesn't give product number for the lube needed. But must be the Multilub because as you said there are only two types for sale on sthil website. 

I think I've caught up! You don't have a Kombi Hedgecutter, do you? You have a one piece (HS) unit. The Kombi needs both types of grease. The HS type only needs the light one.

Edited by Peter 1955

1 hour ago, Stere said:

Im sure  read that any high temp  lithuim grease would be ok them you can switch to using  the 400g  cartrigdes and a grease gun

Superlube seems the higher spec of the two stihl versions?

OK. You have to hand it to Sthil or at least Tom because they know exactly what you are asking. For me I have an answer for my situation. Cut and paste from email. Cheers as well everyone and Peter for the replies. 

Thanks for getting in touch.

The two gearbox greases you show in simple terms one is low melting point grease for hedgecutter (Multilube) the other is a high melting point grease (Superlube FS). It is purely down to gear box temperature the brushcutter gearbox generates a lot more heat as it spins faster.

Your picture of the HS45 (your hedgtrimmer) does show a grease point. The thread on this is the same as the tube of grease. I have attached both 2002 and 2000 versions of the owner’s manual (not sure without serial number how old yours is) and both have a section on lubricating the gear box. It is worth noting that all new HS45 no longer have this grease point and you are required to remove the base plate (as per the videos you have seen) The reason for this is the HS45 is a domestic hedgecutter and not designed for commercial use with a recommendation of re-greasing every 25hrs. For a domestic application this would be quite a while and the process would be completed while in for annual service at dealer ship.

The second type of grease you refer to for hedgecutter blades is called SuperClean 50ml 0782 420 1001 or 300ml 0782 420 1002. This removes resin and dirt while providing lubrication.

I hope this answers your questions.

Kind Regards

Tom Eadie

Product Trainer, Technologies & Product Advisor

Andreas Stihl Limited

So its worth noting that if you dont have a grease point you'll need to remove base plate.