The Sthil FS410c

hi folks

After purchasing and then using obscenely the beast that is the Sthil410c to obliterate brambles, grass, the odd tree my garden has suddenly been revealed. And now it will only require the odd armageddonlike event to keep it in check. So I started to have a rummage online on whats required to service the brush cutter before it goes to bed for winter. 

After some looking I found that it is essential to buy gear box grease for the bearing at the end of the cutting pole. Bought some and then went to undo the bolt to squeeze in the correct grease but .... mine doesn't have one. It just has a logo on a blanking plate. I've seen one post that suggests it may be greased for life which is likely over optimistic straw clutching but I live in hope. 

Any one else or any ideas how to give the gear box more life. Before I start shoving the grease in any likely looking opening in that area. Seems odd but it us what it is. 

36 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Yup, greased for life. Sounds dubious but it's true. I was dubious about my 460 but it's done a pile of work over the last 5 years and the gear head seems fine. If it ever fails, you buy a new head.

Hmmm. We had some tractors with non greasable four wheel drive housings, guaranteed not to fail. They failed. Glad to hear the Stihl units are faring better. I'll keep putting ludicrously expensive grease in my Stihl Kombi hedgecutters and strimmers, as they have the facility. I've seen what happens when you don't. 

Edited by Peter 1955

25 minutes ago, Peter 1955 said:

Hmmm. We had some tractors with non greasable four wheel drive housings, guaranteed not to fail. They failed. Glad to hear the Stihl units are faring better. I'll keep putting ludicrously expensive grease in my Stihl Kombi hedgecutters and strimmers, as they have the facility. I've seen what happens when you don't. 

Hedgecutters definately need it, and regualrly otherwise it just dries up and sits in the casing but nowhere near the con rods. However any lithium agricultural grease will do- I drilled and tapped mine for grease nipple to make it quick and easy.

4 minutes ago, doobin said:

Hedgecutters definately need it, and regualrly otherwise it just dries up and sits in the casing but nowhere near the con rods. However any lithium agricultural grease will do- I drilled and tapped mine for grease nipple to make it quick and easy.

Must look to see if it's a standard size/thread. I have a selection in the shed. 

4 hours ago, Peter 1955 said:

Must look to see if it's a standard size/thread. I have a selection in the shed. 

The toothpaste tube of stihl grease screws directly into the gear head hole on their hedgecutters, just squeeze it in till no more goes in and put the plug back in. My Makita has a grease nipple which is more convenient. I gave up checking my Husqvarna strimmer heads as they didn't seem to lose any.

10 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

The toothpaste tube of stihl grease screws directly into the gear head hole on their hedgecutters, just squeeze it in till no more goes in and put the plug back in. My Makita has a grease nipple which is more convenient. I gave up checking my Husqvarna strimmer heads as they didn't seem to lose any.

Hence my use of " ludicrously expensive". Anything in smaller packages seems to incur higher unit charges. Ah well.