Subcontractor damage

Silver Back

So, I use a subcontractor his standard is very good, and I've put him though pretty much all of his tickets, he also gets his own work - not a problem.  I trust him to do a good job and leave him to it.  As with most Arbs they don't like being questioned.  All fair enough.
The question I have is about a broken gravestone, in my opinion it's the guy who does the cutting that is generally responsible for his actions?
It gets slightly more complicated as the guy doing the lowering, is a young lad.  I had previously lowered another using a 3:1 system and raising the branch maintaining control, used the lad to be eyes as it wasn't that easy to see Arb cutting etc. 
Looking at the broken gravestone (1896!) Arb took 3:1 system out, expected lad to drop it at the right time, doing his own thing,  I was chipping some stuff as I don't want to be constantly questioning what said Arb, or other competent Arbs do.
Who is liable?
I do have insurances, his opinion (and no apology) is that it's my business I have to take it on the chin. 
Over to the floor [emoji4]

Your site, your problem. Just my opinion but that’s how I do things. Usually my problem is the subs breaking my tools though. Had a claim on insurance a few years ago, I had another company that did cleaning, had a new girl start as a sub looking to get full time if it worked out, recommended by her boyfriend who was a guy we had a big contract with. First day she spilled heavy duty oven cleaner on a solid oak worktop and completely wrecked it. A couple of grand to replace. The guy offered to pay it but I took it on the chin and claimed for it as I felt it was my responsibility not his. (Or hers) she wasn’t doing anything wrong, accidents sometimes happen. Just bad luck it was day one.
  • Sad 1

If it was my site and he was working alongside me then I’d take on the liability, if I had employed the sub contractor to do the complete job, ie with all his kit his staff and no Input From us then it’s his problem to sort out. A good example of an incident that we had was a subby tractor operator knocked over a solid stone gate post, I was well pissed off but didn’t make an issue of it, we repaired it, it’s one of those things that happen in a job with big kit and high risk. Don’t worry about it, it will happen many more times in your career. At least no one was hurt, that’s when you need to worry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Perhaps the fancy term of ‘sub contractor’, when referring to itinerant climbers , should more correctly say - a youngish fellow ( ie under 55) who has grasped how a zigzag works, and is quite adept at stuffing an unchecked bundle of £20 notes into his shirt pocket, before clearing off in a bent up 4x4 with very oversized wheels on at a rate of knots, usually about 3 hours before the rest of ‘the team’ wearily stagger to the firms transit tipper and head back to the yard.

Bang on, you did leave out the relentless shouting and bemoaning his personal life tho'    K

Edited by Khriss
And thankyou for the kindly under 55 bit...... ?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Nearly, but not quite describing the freelance climbers I use (including Rich Rule before he headed to Norway).

Anyone who says they don’t take cash is a liar.

I do, but unfortunately have to bank it now, which the bastards charge me for!

I need the money going through to grow as a company.

Good freelancers like Rich saw the job as a whole and were shit hot dragging and raking as well.

The temptation of hiring someone just to climb then leave encourages a big mess on the deck and more time overall on the job.

Trust me, I’ve done it.

Grow a pair and learn how to avoid the tax man and a golden credit rating. Can be done sir

Edited by topchippyles
  • Confused 1

On 12/09/2020 at 00:35, Kent Arboreal said:

First day she spilled heavy duty oven cleaner on a solid oak worktop and completely wrecked it.

That sounds like (appreciate it may be heavily abridged for forum purposes) a RAMS / COSHH / SQEP / H&S + management of H&S scenario. 

Lucky dippy bird didn’t sue you for PTSD / constructive dismissal / emotional stress / workplace injury.....

Dodged a bullet there! ?