Subcontractor damage

Silver Back

3 minutes ago, easy-lift guy said:

Actually I do understand.  Primary and general contractor mean the same thing either in the UK or USA.  The fact that something was damaged by a sub contractor or freelance contractor or climber is a mute point since the responsibility here in the states falls upon the general contractor first and the sub contractor second.  Both really should be completely insured from the get go.  If that is not in place than it only take one accident or mistake to ruin the job and business relationship.  
easy-lift guy

I don't think a freelancers insurance comes into it in the UK, it's the main contractors responsibility, A freelancer doesn't need insurance here. If it's a proper subbed out job, i.e., the contractor is running the job with his own kit on his own schedule they then need insurance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, naturarbo said:

can I get some guidance here?

What is a sub?

Is contract climber someone who goes to work without knowing whats to do based on daily wage?

What is the word for "someone gets a job they cant do and get a quoted job from me"?

The phrase sub-(contractor) is often misused on here most are freelance arborists, they agree to work for the main contractor on certain days at certain times and do the job to the spec that the main contractor dictates.

A bonafide sub contractor takes control of the job from the main contractor, they get the job and do it to the same spec but have full control of how the job is completed and signed off. It's then handed back over to the main contractor.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1